Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160079 - 01/11/12 01:27 AM Nigel Pass, Banff/Jasper Canada... Aug 20/21 2011
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Ok, I am seriously behind in my trip reports here. life got in the way..

I did some cool stuff this last season, West Coast Trail, (again), and the Kerry Way in Ireland... However, something interesting happened this year..

After doing the Kerry way, my wife decided she would actually like to try going into the backcountry with me... for the first time in 22 years of marriage..

So.. while a simple trip for me, I planned this one pretty careful. We only had time for an overnighter. So, leaving late from Edmonton, with some encouragement from my wife that she was up for something good, and didn't mind arriving late at camp, we did the long drive to the Camp parker trailhead. the goal was simple, 14 KM up and over nigel pass from camp parker, to four point campground before dark, have dinner and a long sleep, then up and back out.

The weather cooperated and we have a very nice evening walk up to Nigel Pass..

My better half had a bit of a bonking episode, the altitude and sun affecting her more than she's used to. After a stop right before Nigel pass for water and a snack, everything was good and we trundled over the spectacular nigel pass, crossed the Brazeau river and continued down though the pass to Four Point Campground.

I had mooched a Black Diamond SkyLight tent from a friend for cheap, as I don't really own anything much for a two person tent (I'm solo a lot) pretty decent setup - a palace for two by my standards, although those my not be the same standards as my companion for the evening.

After setting up the tent in the fading light, we ressurected a fire in one of the firepits, I got out the snow peak, and made dinner of a couple of quickly grabbed natural high meals and some soup. She liked the soup, was sort of ok with the Natural High dinner (I didn't have time to put together anything better beforehand). liked the hot chocolate.

After we had finished dinner, I noticed a solo hiker walk in in the dark to a neighboring picnic table - trailrunners, poles, and a golite pack.. I immediately thought.. "aha, someone who knows what they are doing who got in late" - I walked over and offered to share the fire. This turned out to be Pony Express, thu hiking the GDT. We ended up chatting by the table for an hour or two while I shared my stove (I figured he could save his fuel) and my booze and chocolate. The better half surprsingly enjoyed the hiking nerd talk, and we had a very nice evening, turning in late.

In the morning we got up very late, slacked in camp, and made
breakfast - Surprisingly, my better half rather enjoyed my mountain house eggs and idahoan potatoes ziploc baggie breakfast..

We left very late (almost noon!) and headed back up the pass and back out. We got absolutely blasted by wind in the pass but the trip was still quite enjoyable by both of us.

At least I wasn't told she'd never do it again - which for me has always been the highest standard I've ever been able to aspire to with anything involving the girls I date grin

full set of pics are at http://pics.obuse.com/Nigel2011
Browse my pictures

#160265 - 01/12/12 09:53 PM Re: Nigel Pass, Banff/Jasper Canada... Aug 20/21 2011 [Re: phat]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Nice trip! Is Nigel Pass near Nigel Creek trailhead (southeast Jasper)? I have a few guidebooks (with terrible indexes) and am having trouble finding the location of your trip. Is your trip the first part of the Brazeau Loop?

An unrelated question- what do you know about the Rogers Pass to Battle Range traverse described in the old climbing guide (Fox 1992)? Do you know anyone who has done it?

#160269 - 01/12/12 10:23 PM Re: Nigel Pass, Banff/Jasper Canada... Aug 20/21 2011 [Re: wandering_daisy]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
Nice trip! Is Nigel Pass near Nigel Creek trailhead (southeast Jasper)? I have a few guidebooks (with terrible indexes) and am having trouble finding the location of your trip. Is your trip the first part of the Brazeau Loop?

Yes - that trailhead is often called the "Camp Parker" trailhead locally - It is actually in the northernmost part of Banff national park, Nigel pass is the dividing line between the southern end of Jasper national park and the northern end of Banff national park. It and neighboring Jonas pass are the best parts of the Brazeau Loop. For my money, forget the rest of the Brazeau Loop and either go north from nigel pass through Jonas and Sunwapta (or Maligne) or south from nigel through Cataract Pass into White Goat.

http://pics.obtuse.com/maligne-nigel-2010/ is from when I came from the north, solo, through the area last year, walking south from Maligne Lake and then out the same trailhead. (I think you've seen my "galloping glacier" shot from here - as I was most often off trail and not in the usual tromping places on that trip wink )

Quote:

An unrelated question- what do you know about the Rogers Pass to Battle Range traverse described in the old climbing guide (Fox 1992)? Do you know anyone who has done it?

I've had aquaintances who have, but it takes rope and has a rapel or two on it, so I never have. I'm pretty sure my often partner in crime here has (he climbs, I only scramble), I'll ask him for ya (I also thought I remember seeing a good description in one of the Southern BC and Selkirk mtns books)

Edited by phat (01/12/12 10:31 PM)
Browse my pictures

#160278 - 01/12/12 11:15 PM Re: Nigel Pass, Banff/Jasper Canada... Aug 20/21 2011 [Re: phat]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Nice report Phat.

Only one reason that I get to backpack as much as I do--my wife enjoys it as much as I do. And it really has become a part of our lives together.

One bit of advice---no boots in the tent, you oaf! blush

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#160325 - 01/13/12 05:26 PM Re: Nigel Pass, Banff/Jasper Canada... Aug 20/21 2011 [Re: phat]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Made me smile! (Which I needed today (work - walked into work and found a box down =( ))

#160342 - 01/13/12 11:27 PM Re: Nigel Pass, Banff/Jasper Canada... Aug 20/21 2011 [Re: Heather-ak]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Heather-ak
walked into work and found a box down =(

Only one? unless it's more than one and across more than one redundant site it's hardly worth my attention wink wink
Browse my pictures

#161164 - 01/26/12 10:16 AM Re: Nigel Pass, Banff/Jasper Canada... Aug 20/21 2011 [Re: phat]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Excellent report. I sure hope it doesn't take us 22 years to get my wife to come with. She actually wants to, but doesn't want to leave the baby with anyone overnight. So, in a couple years I guess. Before that happens, I need to get her a pack that really fits her.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum