I am getting back into backpacking after several years off from being a scout. I remember that when we used to go camping that we all ended up carrying heavy and not very practical gear for the task at hand, I'm revamping all my gear to avoid this. I've managed to secure a good used bag so far, and i'm now trying to decide about what to do with my sleeping arrangements. I have a 40 liter backpack, and would like to pack as light as possible, but i'm also a college student who needs to save money as well. I don't mind buying used gear, or cheap gear as long as it's decent and won't let me down when I need it. I stumbled across this backpack the other day while at Walmart , it really impressed me by how small and light it was, and the fact that it is down is also comforting. I'm looking for something preferably 3 season and less than a $100. I thought about going with a bag like the walmart one and then adding a real nice liner to it, that way i could use through most of the year. I also saw some real nice columbia bag's, but i'm not sure how much I could compress them to fit into my pack. Any guidance on how to remedy my problems would be very helpful, and if i'm tackling this from the wrong perspective and focusing on the wrong things, please let me know.(BTW I live in east TN, near the AT, I hope this will help you determine the climate I'm in)

Edited by Tyler (05/11/13 03:52 PM)