Just got back this afternoon from my first backpacking trip out in the Angeles National Forest. Only spent a night out there, wanted to work out the kinks before I commit to anything longer than 1 or two days, but I learned a lot. I'm really excited to start planning another trip soon, maybe something a little longer (Only hiked 9 miles round trip on this one). My gf and I drove up to Chantry Flats campground near arcadia, and hiked 4 miles in to our campground Spruce Grove. We spent the night there, but were confined to our tent most of the afternoon because the mosquitos were out in droves. The next morning, we packed up and hiked to the summit of Mt. Zion, and hiked out (5 miles out from our campsite). It was a little more difficult today because the temperature got up to around 85 i believe, and carrying a 25 pound pack in that heat starts getting to you. All in all though, we had a blast. If anyone knows of any good 2-3 day hikes out here, I'd love to hear your suggestions. Here are some photos of the trip.
http://imgur.com/a/rkax3