Hey yall,

Im fixing to buy a new sleeping bag and Ive come to a crossroads. Im debating whether to go with down or a synthetic fill. First off, Im looking for a bag in the 30deg. range. I use a GoLite Shangri-la 1 shelter with some Tyvek for a ground sheet. I also have the optional floor with the shelter I use in the snow. I tell yall this because my Shangri-la is single walled and gets wet in rain, and this of course will cause the quality of a down bag to suffer if it gets wet. I plan on using the bag 3 seasons and buying a warm and lightweight liner for colder winter trips. My concerns are mainly keeping the down bag dry, therefore keeping me dry and warm. Ive never had a down bag before, but I really want one mostly because of the warmth and weight savings they offer. But of course when wet, they are neither warm nor light.

So my questions are...A) how do yall keep the bag dry during snow and rain, especially those who use a tarp-like shelter like mine. B) are there any good waterproof covers for the bag to keep it dry. C)What are some good quality synthetic options comparable to down in weight and warmth.

I would like to buy a lightweight bivy in addtion to the tyvek and optional floor to help keep dry in snowy conditions. so maybe that could help.

Anyway, I really appreciate any feedback on this topic. I tried searching the forum but couldnt find andy threads on this. Folks on this site are a treasure trove of knowledge so hopefull yall can help answer my questions.

Thanks a bunch.