Hi all. Feedback wanted.
I'm getting readying to head off travelling for a few years and would really value feedback / suggestions on what to pack. I'm going to use a single thread with 2 posts, the 2nd of which contains actual draft.
Everybody's reasons for travelling are different so I would asked you to be mindful of this while also been mindful of the fact that while I will be travelling for a few years I feel that I need to get the basic things (items not always available in 3rd world countries) I am likely to need say 12 months down the line (I'm not planning to return home on vacation). For example I'm likely to be in very remote and 3rd world places.
I've also given some thought to postponing getting 'western' items until I get to Colombia were I could them order them online. However many of the things on my list I feel I'd like to see in person before buying them. But feel free to put a comment beside any such as 'could be postponed till later'.
I'm starting my travels with a 10 silent mediation retreat. So nothing needed for this apart from changes of cloths.
Then going to Houston for 3 days to do the tourist thing. Again nothing needed except cloths.
Then on to Belize for 40 days for a proper holiday.
First 10 days will be doing tourist things so only need sun cloths, etc.
Next 10 days will be spent on a remote paradise Island. Food will be provided. Will stock up on toilet roll, sun creams, etc before going.
Then 10 days in the remote jungle i.e. living with local inhabitants - very basic living. This will include a 5 day trek/sleeping on the jungle floor. So clean water and bug protection will be key.
Then approx 10 days in hostel's seeing other sights, sleeping in caves, jumping into river pools, etc. So nothing excessive needed.
After that I plan to spend 4-6 months learning Spanish in a very modern city in Colombia. So nothing needed here.
After this my travelling proper will start. I will take one of two routes. Either backpack Central and South America OR spend 1/2/3 years in Very remote parts of the Amazon rain forest working with plant medicine. I'm leaning towards the latter.
I can assure you that I am not approaching this lightly. For 2 years now I've been working my way thoroughly threw detailed preparations such as having a FULL medical examination as well as interlocking with some trusted psychologists and psychotherapists re alone ness, been away from family, what if my backpack got lost, etc.
So if your still with me! I'm looking for feedback / help on what to pack. Of course my needs and circumstances will change during this time e.g. I will no longer need stuff e.g. English books, etc.
The only electronic's I will bring are my small USB chargeable mp3 player, a compact USB chargeable camera and a wind up radio/torch which can also be used to charge USB devices. Not bringing phone, laptop, tablet, go-pro, etc. To be honest I can even do with these and after a while I probably will. e.g. replace this will learning guitar while in Colombia, etc.
Please see next post for actual draft.