I recently started getting into hiking and primitive camping, i've always enjoyed car camping but only after losing 150 lbs. has real hiking become an enjoyable experience. I am now in the market for some gear. I've been getting by on borrowed gear and a wal mart tent thus far but now im wanting to stretch my hikes to over 10 miles a day.

I plan on spending 3 days out at a maximum, realistically most trips will be two days and I am curious about a good, reasonably priced pack and whether a hammock is preferable to a tent.

I had been borrowing a REI ridgeline 65, and I felt it was a little small, but it was stuffed with a ton of stuff i didn't use. Granted my clothes take up a ton of room because i am a 3xl. I was looking at some 35-40 litre packs and wondering if those could carry a hammock system, bottle of whiskey, change of clothes and a little food?

I had been carrying a tent, lawn chair and huge sleeping bag, but i recently purchased a smaller bag and figured a hammock could replace the chair.

i've never done any hammock camping but i've spent many nights sleeping in the dirt with a tarp so i figure it would be similar. any recommendations on brands or possibly even good light tents that would be better.

I live in Texas. Most camping and hiking will be done in temperatures above 50 degrees. And the only real big concern is boar in the piney woods.

Help me out.