Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188039 - 12/14/14 11:38 PM newbie from Louisiana reporting in
Roastduck Offline

Figured I would check in and introduce myself. I'm a 25 year old drum teacher. I was recently turned onto backpacking as a way to get away from the high energy, competitive hustle and bustle of work, and to satisfy my fondness for self-reliance. I live a stone's throw from Sam Houston Jones State Park in Louisiana, which is a tiny little place with about 12 miles of trails. I'm also roughly equidistant from Sam Houston National Forest near Huntsville, Texas, and Kisatchie NF in Louisiana.

I'm planning to do some day hiking at the state park to nail down some logistical and technical stuff, then spend a few days hiking the Wild Azalea trail at Kisatchie (28 miles) and build up to thru hole the Lone Star trail at Sam Houston (96 miles).

I'm in no rush to hit any of my goals, and I'm still in gear research mode. I've been reading the forums and articles here a lot the past several days, and learning a great deal.

#188040 - 12/15/14 05:11 AM Re: newbie from Louisiana reporting in [Re: Roastduck]
shopon1079 Offline

Hello everyone, I have just signed up.

#188041 - 12/15/14 10:48 AM Re: newbie from Louisiana reporting in [Re: Roastduck]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Welcome to the forum.

#188049 - 12/15/14 02:57 PM Re: newbie from Louisiana reporting in [Re: Roastduck]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome! Feel free to ask questions! The only "stupid question" is the one you don't ask!

You can always pretend to be backpacking by camping in the car-camping area in the local state park and dayhike with full pack. This will give you a chance to get acquainted with your gear and is a great place for a "shakedown cruise." Do at least one, preferably more, of these trial runs in bad weather.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/15/14 04:42 PM)

#188054 - 12/15/14 06:51 PM Re: newbie from Louisiana reporting in [Re: OregonMouse]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Watch out for alligators and copperheads. Anytime you get water from a stream, poke in the grass and water near the edge. They often hide in the water or just out of the water.

Pay attention to your nose when walking in grass. You can smell copperheads. They smell a bit like a garbage disposal that needs cleaned.

#188057 - 12/15/14 08:57 PM Re: newbie from Louisiana reporting in [Re: Gershon]
Roastduck Offline

Oh yeah. I've been hunting in the region fit several years, so I'm familiar with those buggers.

#188120 - 12/18/14 10:01 AM Re: newbie from Louisiana reporting in [Re: Roastduck]
Mr. Jowee Offline

The WaT is fantastic. Well marked, easy terrain, varied flora, and plenty of established camping. I plan on yo-yoing the trail this spring.

#188132 - 12/18/14 01:40 PM Re: newbie from Louisiana reporting in [Re: Mr. Jowee]
Roastduck Offline

Originally Posted By Mr. Jowee
The WaT is fantastic. Well marked, easy terrain, varied flora, and plenty of established camping. I plan on yo-yoing the trail this spring.

If I'm right and yo-yoing means going the length of the trail and back, then that's exactly what I plan to do, probably around April.

#188140 - 12/18/14 06:16 PM Re: newbie from Louisiana reporting in [Re: Roastduck]
Mr. Jowee Offline

Originally Posted By Roastduck
Originally Posted By Mr. Jowee

If I'm right and yo-yoing means going the length of the trail and back, then that's exactly what I plan to do, probably around April.

It's officially 26.2 miles, but that includes a 1.7 mile road hike through Woodworth. There's a parking area on FS 287 now, which is where the trail meets the road, so the road hike can be skipped.

#188141 - 12/18/14 06:20 PM Re: newbie from Louisiana reporting in [Re: Mr. Jowee]
Roastduck Offline

Have you done a roundtrip hike on it before? How long did it take you?

#188148 - 12/19/14 12:02 AM Re: newbie from Louisiana reporting in [Re: Roastduck]
Mr. Jowee Offline

I've never done the entire thing in one trip, however I have hiked every section. I usually hike about 2mph, including breaks and what not. It's really easy to figure out speed on this particular trail, since the distance is posted every half mile. For a round trip I'm figuring 4 days of hiking; 8 miles, then 12, 16, and 12. The second and third days are always easier, plus it would allow me to camp in different areas.

#188149 - 12/19/14 12:17 AM Re: newbie from Louisiana reporting in [Re: Mr. Jowee]
Roastduck Offline

That's about how long I estimated it would take

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 371 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum