Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165431 - 04/28/12 04:03 PM Gauging Water Supplies
Greg C. Offline

Hello!

I am looking forward to my first backcountry trip in about 5 weeks. I've gotten some great trip-oriented information in another thread, and while my question may be based somewhat on "where" one is hiking, I still thought I'd ask it more generally.

I'll be hiking through the Smokies on the AT for 4 days in June, and I am wondering everyone's thoughts for this beginner on water resupply?

My guess is I would start at 100 liters in a hydration pack for the day. Towards the end of the day, filling up another 150 liters with stream or spring water, using 50 for dinner/next-day-breakfast, then filtering that evening for 100 liters of drinking water the next day.

I understand a huge portion of this plan is "where" the water is.

Any thoughts or reworking to this approach?

Thanks!!!
~grc

#165432 - 04/28/12 04:31 PM Re: Gauging Water Supplies [Re: Greg C.]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I am no expert on the Smokies, but I think you have misstated your amounts. 100 liters of water would be about 26 gallons. I doubt you'll need that much. blush

Were you thinking of 100 fluid ounces (approx. 3 gallons)? If this amount is meant for consumption on the trail only, not in camp, where I'd expect a water source to be available, then it sounds like much more than one person in June would need for walking under forest cover, but at least it is much closer to your needs than 26 gallons. 100 fl.oz. is more akin to what you'd take for a day in the desert.

#165433 - 04/28/12 04:56 PM Re: Gauging Water Supplies [Re: aimless]
Greg C. Offline

LOL... yes I meant ounces not liters blush

Understood on 100 oz being overkill. I'm 5'10"/200... what would you recommend for replenishment while hiking. I have done some tough mountain hikes in the hot summer where I have gone through 100 ounces. Perhaps 70oz is a better number?

~grc

#165435 - 04/28/12 05:35 PM Re: Gauging Water Supplies [Re: Greg C.]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Greg C,

Glad you found the dope useful. Funny, I thought about suggesting reversing your direction. I think your plan makes sense and is safer, while giving you some spectacular trail.From the north, if something goes desperately wrong early on, there are a couple of short bailout options. Both Low Gap trail and Chestnut Branch (I think..ck map) go down just a couple of miles or so to ranger stations. Also, going in from Davenport means you have an easy resupply at Newfound Gap for the run up to Clingman's (and if you're getting edgy at that point, one of your party can take the car up to the top.

As far as your question here, I don't remember water ever being a problem in the GSNP. Don't think you'll ever go more than six or eight miles between, and there's more in the hollows if you need it. I rarely ever carry more than about 40 oz. at a time (though I have a third bottle if I need to dry camp).

Best, jcp

#165439 - 04/28/12 06:56 PM Re: Gauging Water Supplies [Re: JPete]
Greg C. Offline

Excellent, this is some good affirmation. For me, in June, I see a need for more than 40oz, but no more than 70oz daily.

So from this beginner perspective. When you say, never more than 6-8 miles without water, what exactly does that entail?

Is that a spring along the way or stream? Are those sites easily marked? From a super beginners perspective, any tips on how I should be mapping out this water?

Thanks again...
~grc

#165441 - 04/28/12 07:30 PM Re: Gauging Water Supplies [Re: Greg C.]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Greg,

In some cases you will find brooks across or near the trail, but the surest and best sources are at the shelters, where the way to the water is obvious. Along the AT, I believe the longest run between shelters is about 8 miles.

I also think your water bladder is overkill. get three empty soft drink bottles. fill two of them and put one in each outside pocket, and stow one empty inside the pack.

Yes, you're going in June, but you will be up high for the whole trip. When the wind is blowing (and it does at some point every day) you can easily chill. It ain't like the desert.

PS: Take a second look at that 70 Litre pack. I thru-hike the AT with a 35 litre pack.

best, jcp

#165451 - 04/28/12 10:49 PM Re: Gauging Water Supplies [Re: Greg C.]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've not hiked the Smokies, but elsewhere in the east, I rarely carry more than a quart (liter) between water sources. If I'm out when I reach a source, I filter and drink my fill, then filter enough to give me a liter to last till the next source. I rarely am out when I reach a source. About the only time I carry more than a liter is when I intend to make a dry camp; then I carry three liters the last mile or two to the camp.

#165453 - 04/28/12 11:02 PM Re: Gauging Water Supplies [Re: Glenn]
Greg C. Offline

Good feedback. My expectation of water supplies being much more difficult to come by seems to be incorrect, and that's a good thing.

I have a feeling this is going to be a great first time experience... can't wait...

~grc

Edited by Greg C. (04/28/12 11:06 PM)

#165475 - 04/29/12 06:57 PM Re: Gauging Water Supplies [Re: JPete]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I normally carry 3 liters of water, no matter where I hike AND I often end up stealing water from my husband... so keep that in mind. (Putting in gateraid or similar does reduce my water intake, but I normally just drink a lot of water even sitting still - nothing wrong with me, just.. odd :D)

I don't like stopping to refill. So I'd rather keep the weight and not have to stop once or twice to filter (and I'm anal retentive about that too - I don't care who says the water is safe - I don't want to be sick!) I also like having enough water to cook with when I stop to camp.

Pack has to fit the gear, if your stuff is light, but takes up a ton of space, then you will need the bigger pack.

Have fun on your trip!

Just my 2 cents - YMMV

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum