Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128990 - 02/16/10 09:53 PM New to backpacking
Gfox Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Hello to all,

I'm new to Backpacking except for my stint in Boy Scouts about 15 yrs ago. I had a terrible pack back then and I'm now in the market for a new one. I am about 6'1'', 190 I've got a budget up to $175, $200 if there is a huge advantage between one or the other. Any suggestions or packs that you all are familiar with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help. Feel free to email me as well.

Garrett Fox
garrett.a.fox@gmail.com

#128999 - 02/16/10 11:30 PM Re: New to backpacking [Re: Gfox]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Simply and standard reply is to take all of your gear to your local outfitter, load up some packs and then decide based upon what works.

I can name a dozen packs in your budget, but it would be a fruitless exercise if none of them fitted you or your needs.

#129003 - 02/17/10 01:18 AM Re: New to backpacking [Re: Gfox]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome! If you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent articles for beginners and on gear selection listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site.

Another good site for gear selection is Mark Verber's website. Lots of ideas for gear, including low-budget alternatives.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/17/10 01:18 AM)

#129004 - 02/17/10 01:19 AM Re: New to backpacking [Re: Gfox]
lori Offline

First order of business is to go find an outfitter that will take measurements of your back to determine your size - a pack that suits your back will be bliss after having a bad pack experience. Once you have an idea of back size, try on a few packs with weight in them and see what feels okay, what feels better, and what fits like a glove. Put all the packs back and go home. Consider the gear you have - are you going to want a pack to fit it? Because the general advice is to get your gear dialed in, then get a pack that works for you with that gear - but you might not get that opportunity unless you go packing with the gear and start weeding out the stuff you don't really use (if going lighter is the goal). You may be looking at either renting a pack a couple times or getting another pack, if you lighten up to the point that the first one no longer makes sense. Packs made to haul a lot of gear tend to be heavy themselves, and having too much room in a pack invites "just one more thing."

Having two packs isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you get into winter packing, the bigger one would serve you well. And often you can sell a pack in good condition particularly if it's a popular brand like Osprey.

Check out the gear lists on the main page of this site, and also Mark Verber's page - http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/index.html.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#129125 - 02/18/10 09:13 PM Re: New to backpacking [Re: lori]
mtk Offline

Loc: Long Island NY
I would recommend that once you find what you like shop around. I am all for supporting your local outfitter but I found the pack I was going to buy for $159.00 for 59.00 at http://www.rei.com/outlet the other day.

#129138 - 02/19/10 09:19 AM Re: New to backpacking [Re: mtk]
Bobc Offline

Loc: SC
Being from SC also I would recommend going to "The Backpacker_ in Columbia or Charleston, or HalfMoon outfitters in Charleston.
Both have pack in stocks in various sizes. A good rule of thumb is something less than 4000ci. Since it is humid here in SC don't rule out an external frame pack.

#129139 - 02/19/10 09:22 AM Re: New to backpacking [Re: Bobc]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

While I'd not rule out a decent old external frame anyway, it being humid is no reason to prefer one. Many modern internal frames when fit right barely touch your back, example, Gregory Z55, which will only touch your shoulders and hip, with a big bent frame that keeps it off your back. There's other manufactuers with similar things too..

Browse my pictures

#129173 - 02/19/10 08:16 PM Re: New to backpacking [Re: phat]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Osprey's Atmos and Exos series also leap to mind.

#129187 - 02/20/10 09:10 AM Re: New to backpacking [Re: Gfox]
GvilleDave Offline

Loc: Greenville SC
Another suggestion would be to rent a pack from your local outfitter for your first few trips. They will measure you prior to the rental to insure fit. Ask if they still sell the models you are renting. If you like that pack and it works you can buy the same type from them. If its an older pack or your budget doesn't afford the same pack new look on ebay or other used gear forums to find the same pack in the same size used. You can usually rent a pack for a weekend trip for $20-30.

If you are in the Greenville area I hignly recommend Appalachian Outfitters in Greenville SC if your in the upstate. Their staff is super helpful & they rent quality gear.

#129192 - 02/20/10 12:28 PM Re: New to backpacking [Re: GvilleDave]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I'd really agree with the idea of renting or borrowing a pack. That will give you an idea of what works and doesn't work---particularly if someone else in the group has a different type or style of pack.

Check out a discussion of this topic in the equipement section of our website...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#129202 - 02/20/10 06:28 PM Re: New to backpacking [Re: balzaccom]
Gfox Offline

Great info guys. I heard it was important to pick up some quality boots so that is what I have done. I just picked up these http://www.danner.com/product/boots/radical+452+gtx+brown+hiking+boots.do
I recently went by the Backpacker here in Columbia and they are charging $20 for a pack fitting and $25 for boot fitting. I picked the guys brain for some ideas on packs and he recommended something on the lines of this pack
http://www.rei.com/product/773915
I'm heading up to Charlotte this weekend and will be heading to the REI up there and see if i can't get fitted for free and other ideas. Let me know what you think

#129203 - 02/20/10 06:57 PM Re: New to backpacking [Re: Gfox]
ChrisFol Offline

Originally Posted By Gfox
Great info guys. I heard it was important to pick up some quality boots so that is what I have done. I just picked up these http://www.danner.com/product/boots/radical+452+gtx+brown+hiking+boots.do
I recently went by the Backpacker here in Columbia and they are charging $20 for a pack fitting and $25 for boot fitting. I picked the guys brain for some ideas on packs and he recommended something on the lines of this pack
http://www.rei.com/product/773915
I'm heading up to Charlotte this weekend and will be heading to the REI up there and see if i can't get fitted for free and other ideas. Let me know what you think

I wouldn't pay anyone just to take a couple of measurements, certainly not an outfitter-- this is what they are there for. $20 is nothing short of daylight robbery, but I digress. Head to REI and get it done for free.

As for the Z-65, it is a great pack. I own an older version of the Z-55 (Z-Pack) and it is my go to pack when I am taking both my backpacking and fly-fishing gear with me.

As mentioned earlier, take all of your gear with you to REI and find a pack that fits you and your gear. It would be a shame to purchase a pack that is either too small or too big for your needs.

NB: If the Z-65 or Z-55 works for you, then save yourself some $$$ and look at Campsaver.com that currently has both models on sale in limited sizes.

Edited by ChrisFol (02/20/10 07:00 PM)

#129266 - 02/21/10 06:31 PM Re: New to backpacking [Re: ChrisFol]
Gfox Offline

Went to REI today..It was awesome. The guys in there were supper helpful, I tried on 3 different packed with weight and we came to the conclusion that this pack fit the best.

http://www.rei.com/product/778468

I'm thinking about going back tomorrow and purchasing it. Turns out they dropped the price down to $150. Seems like an steal

#129269 - 02/21/10 06:55 PM Re: New to backpacking [Re: Gfox]
taM Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Went to REI today..It was awesome. The guys in there were supper helpful, I tried on 3 different packed with weight and we came to the conclusion that this pack fit the best.

http://www.rei.com/product/778468

I'm thinking about going back tomorrow and purchasing it. Turns out they dropped the price down to $150. Seems like an steal

Unless you have all your gear picked out, I wouldn't go back and buy a pack. I know for me, a 65 Liter pack is way overkill. A 40 is plenty of pack for me for the better part of a week on the trail.

Assemble all of your other stuff, and then decide on a pack as others have suggested. You might find that a particular pack size might be much to large, or even too small for all of your stuff.

For me as well, using a smaller pack makes me tend to be more choosy about what I bring, and sticking to the essentials, keeping the weight down.

#129274 - 02/21/10 09:44 PM Re: New to backpacking [Re: taM]
Gfox Offline

I just noticed I put the link to the 65. The one I'm thinking about is the 50. I agree that the 65 would be a little big for my needs

#129286 - 02/22/10 01:20 AM Re: New to backpacking [Re: Gfox]
ChrisFol Offline

I just noticed I put the link to the 65. The one I'm thinking about is the 50. I agree that the 65 would be a little big for my needs

Just a quick FYI, these REI packs are overpriced. When the 65 came out it was priced at $150, it is now $20 more expensive. As for the Flash 50 at $150, I believe that you can get a better pack, that is lighter, for less money, that still has the same capacity. For example the SMD Swift '10 and GG's G4.

Personally, I would purchase your pack last-- get all of your gear and then shop around. IMHO, you would be selling yourself short by picking up the Flash 50.

#129295 - 02/22/10 09:48 AM Re: New to backpacking [Re: ChrisFol]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I will concur with the sentiment of buying your pack *last*. make sure you have most of your other gear, and then buy a pack to fit your gear and you.

Browse my pictures

#129299 - 02/22/10 11:32 AM Re: New to backpacking [Re: Gfox]
lori Offline

Three pounds for the pack!!!!!!!!!!

For the same money you can get the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus, which has a little extra room but not much (just enough to fit a bear canister if you need it for a particular destination) - the GG pack will weigh 1 lb, 5 oz and has an aluminum stay, and will ride comfortably up to 30 lbs.

I have not been impressed with the REI Flash packs. I hiked with a guy for a ways who had one - he was having a terrible time and putting extra clothes under the shoulder straps trying to mitigate the way it was dragging on his shoulders. Hopefully the redesigns have done away with that problem. I have a smaller model as a day pack. Not bad, until you get more than eight pounds in it. The pack itself is big enough for a summer overnight trip but only if you go super-ultralight.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum