Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109531 - 01/17/09 07:10 PM Camping with a K9
grandtheory Offline

Loc: Indiana
About a year ago, I got a Siberian Husky. He's a great companion and I love his company. He is an indoor dog (e.g., he sleeps inside).

Last summer, my girlfriend and her dog joined us for a cross-country drive to Colorado to see Widespread Panic at Red Rocks. Prior to the three nights of concerts, we spent 3 nights camping in the Rockies. Somewhere near Brainard Lake. It was our first time camping with the dogs.

The tent was pretty cramped with two adults and two large breeds. They certainly weren't helping to keep the tent clean and free of debris.

How do most people camp with their dogs? I thought about keeping the dogs outside using a screw-stake, but worried about other animals (bears) being attracted to them. But were we any better with them in the tent?!?!

Also, I'm in the market for a new tent. Even though I only camp with my girlfriend, I feel like I need to get a 4 person tent because of the dogs.

I'm a brand new member of the site. Thanks for the help.

#109552 - 01/17/09 09:29 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: grandtheory]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I always brought my dog or dogs in, unless they were wet and were bad because of that. Part of the whole experience being that close to your dog while bping and bonding more. Bugs were usually worse on trips, so I brought my dogs in to give them some relief, also so I didn't have to tie them up, my male dobie would be after deer. Also, I would worry about the possibility of a run in with a porcupine, skunk or lion. If you have ever seen a dog running around, trying to get away from mosquitoes, black flies, you would take pity on them. With your g/f and two dogs, you have a heavy pack to carry. If the dogs are old enough, be sure to fit them with packs so they can at least carry their food. My dog or dogs always carried their food and my dirty clothes and garbage. With my lightweight bping now, they wouldn't have any dirty clothes to carry, I only have an extra shirt and underwear, haven't gone commando yet. The dogs will love their packs. After they get experienced with the pack, when you show the pack to them, they know what if means, getting outside!

#109553 - 01/17/09 09:36 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: hikerduane]
grandtheory Offline

I got my dog a Ruffwear Approach pack shortly after my Colorado camping trip. We haven't used it for camping yet, but I put it on him for long walks so that he can get used to it. And he does love it!

I think I'm going to go with a 3 person tent. I'll be doing more backpacking solo (and with my own dog) than I will be doing with my partner and her dog. Thus, I don't need the extra weight. But, I still want a tent that will accomodate us all (even if it's a little cramped).

Thanks for the help.

#109630 - 01/19/09 12:47 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: grandtheory]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
My wife and I trekked with a 200lb Rottweiler for around ten years. We did this from the time that he was around 4 months old until I had to give him away because of the grandchildren. He was the greatest thing on the trail. We slept in a fairly heavy wal-mart dome tent for most of this period and it worked great with the full coverage rain fly that my wife made for it. We carried this very light weight fleece pad for him to lay on and as soon as it was laid down in the tent he would know exactly what was going on. Another advantage of having a canine around was that no animal can come any where near your camp without him knowing that it's there.Like a four-legged security guard and yes he did carry his own pack with his "stuff" in it and when it was put on him he was ready to go and he knew exactly what we were doing too...sabre11004...

The first step that you take will be one of those that get you htere !!!!!

#109631 - 01/19/09 01:01 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: sabre11004]
grandtheory Offline

Is condensation more of a problem when dogs sleep in the tent with you? Are dogs likely to attract or scare away other animals (e.g., bears)?

These are my two major concerns.

#109640 - 01/19/09 03:31 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: grandtheory]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Condensation - probably - you have another wet body in there with you, and importantly - won't contain the tail wagging in the morning when the tent is wet and you wake up smile

Bears - I have been told by bear people that dogs cause more problems than they solve. While a bear may be "scared away" by a dog, they're more likely to be scared away by a human. The problem becomes when the bear is not immediately "scared away" a dog can become protective and aggressive when a human should just stand their ground, the dog ends up being a target for a bear (often after targeting the bear itself), and then the human tries to help save puppy. The result is bear on human..

I personally like having my dog with me, but I've only taken him out overnight once - most of the time I'm in relatively serious bear country so I will not take him. I don't think a dog is a good idea in bear country. Take bear spray and read up on what to do instead.

Dogs can both attract and chase away other animals - or the dog chases something you would have left alone. depending on the area you're in you may have to worry about your dog going after a porcupine or skunk and turning what would otherwise have been a benign encounter with a forest critter into something decidedly more unpleasant for both you and the dog.

Understand I'm not saying "don't ever take your dog hiking" any more than I'd say "don't take your kid hiking". just realize that you need to be aware of the environment you're going into and be aware of what your dog might do, and make
some wise decisions. How will your dog react when faced with a rabbit, a skunk, a porcupine, a bear.. where do you draw the line in what you're prepared to deal with the outcome.

Edited by phat (01/19/09 03:38 PM)
Browse my pictures

#109646 - 01/19/09 04:41 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: phat]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That's why my Hysson is on leash a good part of the time. When he's off-leash, I keep him close to me, preferably on the trail right behind me. It isn't just bear--I don't want him going after any wildlife, large or small. A bull elk or moose is not something you want a close encounter with, either.

Condensation--yes, there will be more, especially if the dog is large. I found from experience that human plus dog in a solo tent is not a good idea. As Phat mentions, there's that morning full-body tail-wag!

What you really want, if you can afford it, is a 2-person shelter for you and your dog and a 3 person shelter when you're out with the GF and two dogs. However, Tarptent's 3-person Rainshadow 2 (the "2" refers to the model and not to the tent's capacity) is only 2 1/2 lbs., so it might just do for both occasions until you can save up for a lighter shelter for just you and the dog. It has plenty of capacity for two people and two dogs and I've had no condensation problems so far--even on the drizzly Olympic NP coast with three people inside and the beak extended (no dogs allowed there).

With the dog pack, be sure to work up gradually--walks every day for weeks before the trip, with gradually increasing weight, to strengthen his muscles and especially to toughen up his pads. You don't want to have to carry out an 80-lb. dog because his pads have gotten bloody! I've found that carrying his pack helps keep Hysson from wandering away or doing his run-around-in-big-circles routine when we hit a meadow. I always have him on leash the first hour of the morning (until he calms down), and after that it depends on the surroundings. Can we see a long distance ahead or could we come upon wildlife unexpectedly? Are there other people around? (I always assume that people we meet don't like dogs and bring Hysson to heel.) Is there a horse party around? (Hysson is very good around horses but that doesn't mean that the the sight of him wouldn't spook one.)

And please, treat the dogs' poop as you would your own--bury it in a cathole or (if close to the trailhead) pack it out.

#109652 - 01/19/09 06:07 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: OregonMouse]
grandtheory Offline

Excellent advice. Thank you.

I've read a lot of wonderful reviews of the various Tarptent designs... but I think I would prefer a freestanding tent. I know it's a little more weight, but I want something that is a little more windproof... and something that I can easily shake all of the dog hair and debris out of while it is still erect. I'm not going to be thru-hiking any long distance trails anytime soon.

#109657 - 01/19/09 06:58 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: grandtheory]
OregonMouse Offline

Thanks to the suspended bathtub floor in Henry Shires' Tarptents, it's quite easy to get the dog hair, etc. out--just start at the back and shake the floor towards the front and out the door. Takes me less than a minute.

#109660 - 01/19/09 08:06 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Of course, when I went out with mine, my rule on he shelter was simple - I stayed in my hammock - I rigged my poncho tarp on my trekking poles as a hooch for the dog. I like my dog but not enough to share a hammock with him smile
Browse my pictures

#109666 - 01/19/09 09:26 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: phat]
hikerduane Offline

My reply from work didn't make it I see. With two dobies and then with only Pooch when he was alive, I never had any issues with condensation, but was using a regular tent w/fly, I would hate to think what might happen in cool weather with a dog or two inside a single wall shelter. Since Pooch passed away, all my gear has been directed at lightweightness and room only for me and gear. Another dog is not in the future until my working out of town changes.

Since Pooch has been gone, I have not seen a bear, except at home, checking out my neighbors secured garbage can. When Pooch was still alive, we never had any come in camp and the only bears we saw were mostly in the mornings within a short distance of camp, sow and cub combos. Pooch, a Yellow lab X, was very quiet, but when a bear was around, he let me know, which surprised the heck out of me. At home, while in his pen, he barked on a couple occasions when a bear was knocking off my garbage and once while we were enjoying a quiet time at a lake, he growled and I looked where he was looking and a bear had come down to the lake by the outlet and was visible for a few seconds. The best kind of dog, only barked when it mattered, otherwise, not a peep. Partially trained in SAR too.

#109773 - 01/21/09 04:22 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: grandtheory]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
One thing that you might consider is using a tarp. In that way, the dog is still near you, but won't mess up your sleeping quarters as with a tent. Here is my pooch on an overnighter:

#109861 - 01/22/09 02:44 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: grandtheory]
Paddy_Crow Offline

Loc: Michigan
I've never really worried about what the dog tracks into the tent. I figure I'm going to accumulate some dirt, then clean it when I get home.

#109882 - 01/22/09 05:31 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: Paddy_Crow]
OregonMouse Offline

I take a couple of Handi-Wipes (disposable kitchen towels from the supermarket) to rub down my dog if he's wet and/or muddy. If he isn't wet, I comb him just before bedtime to get rid of some of the excess hair (he sheds perpetually) and any creepy-crawlies that may be on his fur. This also allows us to bond a little at the end of the day. Needless to say, Hysson carries the Handi-Wipes and his comb in his pack! I also keep him in camp or on leash after dinner so he doesn't get into water or mud just before bedtime. As a result, he's usually relatively clean when he goes into the tent. That's a good thing, because he's part of my sleep system--a marvelous foot-warmer!

#109945 - 01/23/09 02:38 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

Foot warmer? My female dobie was a leg warmer, she would lay right at the bottom almost of my bag and would not move. I had to put my legs on each side of her and her dad laid where he could, usually taking up more of my bag.

#110138 - 01/27/09 12:51 AM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: hikerduane]
Lupine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Every dog's different. My own dog, a 60-lb Shep/Sighthound mix, has spent more than a few nights in my Marmot Peapod tent with me, and often with another human camper for a cozy three. Condensation's never been an issue, and when one of us humans is having gastrointestinal issues with certain protein bars, we can always blame it on her.

My only bear encounter while camping had her so scared, she was more concerned about scooting underneath me than anything. (weird, since she's actually encountered bear scent other occasions with no such reaction). But to be safe, I keep her leashed while in the tent and, 90% of the time, while on the trail. The latter can be dangerous, especially when scrambling, but I've taught her the command "wait", so she doesn't drag me up or down technical stuff. If I'm overly concerned, that's when I unleash her.

I use a pack made by WolfPacks. Never overload your dog...but with the right fit and conditioning, your dog should be able to carry his/her supplies for a weekend getaway (barring canned food, of course).

Make sure you have a good canine first aid kit/guidebook, as well as contact info appropriate for away-from-home trips, both in the dog's pack and on its collar (my dog is also chipped).

Booties are also a good idea if you're going to be crossing rough terrain, or on a longer trek than the dog might be used to. They can also help prevent tearing of your tent and sleeping bag/pad.

Oh, yeah--pack a fleece blanket and/or camping chamois towel for your dog to lay on in your tent, and a tick removing tool.

#110410 - 01/30/09 07:06 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: grandtheory]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Grand, I am in pickle which I am sure you have experienced. I am a huge jam band fan also, and am planning a trip out west (from Maine), stopping down at either Wakarusa or up at Rothbury. I am also in the midst of getting a dog. But whats on the back of my mind the whole time is what to do with them when its time for the festival. It would be nice to have them as we camp through the U.S. Now I know animals are not allowed in these festivals, so I was wondering what you did with the dogs when you had to go to the concerts?

Thanks

#110417 - 01/30/09 09:17 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: GDeadphans]
grandtheory Offline

Originally Posted By GDeadphans
...so I was wondering what you did with the dogs when you had to go to the concerts?

Thanks

In your situation, I would just make arrangements to kennel my dogs while I was at the festival. It's not cheap, but the peace of mind is well worth it (especially if you are spending that much for tickets).

I did the first two Bonnaroo festivals and a handfull of smaller festivals, but I've not done Roth or Waka. Widespread Panic at Red Rocks is my "fesival" during the summer. If you've never seen Panic at the Rocks, you are really missing out.

#110422 - 01/30/09 10:35 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: grandtheory]
hikerduane Offline

If you come to California, hit the High Sierra Music Festival, here in Quincy in early July. http://www.highsierramusic.com/

#110424 - 01/30/09 10:40 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: hikerduane]
grandtheory Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
If you come to California, hit the High Sierra Music Festival, here in Quincy in early July. http://www.highsierramusic.com/

I've heard so many great things about High Sierra. It's on my list of things to do!

#110439 - 01/31/09 02:24 AM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: grandtheory]
hikerduane Offline

Well, you know someone who lives close by now. And the dog pen would only need a little fixin to contain anything from a dog to a horse.

#110462 - 01/31/09 01:08 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: grandtheory]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee

Uhhhm!!! Yeah !! Was that "Widespread Panic?"...sabre11004...

The first step that you take will be one of those that get you there !!!!! crazy

#113519 - 03/30/09 03:06 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: phat]
Sleddoggin Offline

Loc: CA, USA
I bring mine into my tent. Be sure to train them not to eat backpacks, food, and tents beforehand though! ;-) That could put you into a bit of trouble. It's very comforting having a dog sleeping with you, out in the woods.

#113546 - 03/30/09 08:52 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: grandtheory]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
High Sierra looks like a great time, I have always been wanting to get there. Red Rocks looks amazing, I would have loved to see any band there, specially Younder Mountain String Band. I have a YMSB and Phish cd from when they played at RR and it rocks. Something about the energy there. Well we bought Wakarusa tickets. Great line up, no Panic though.

I went to Bonnaroo also, 05, 06, and 07. All of them progressively got more mainstream. This year I cant even believe what they did. But thats alright, we got a million and one other festivals to chose from.

#115019 - 04/26/09 11:34 PM Re: Camping with a K9 [Re: GDeadphans]
Fitjarald Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My fiance and I got a puppy last year, which happened to be our first season backpacking as well. He was fantastic, but mainly because he was so tired at the end of the days that he didn't have enough energy to care about chasing anything, or ruining anything (he once fell asleep while a porcupine walked about 1.5 feet away from him...never noticed. Course, neither did we till it was much past us).
Now that he is MUCH bigger and has alot more endurance, I'm a bit more concerned this year. I have been training him to bike with me, and find that the stop, go, and on by commands will certainly help while backpacking. I'd prefer to be able to keep him off leash as it's less annoying for everyone involved, dog included, but won't risk it until he is fully trained with his new commands.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum