After being ruled by my Luddite side for many years, I have finally decided to purchase a handheld GPS receiver. I am not looking for anything really high-tech: what I want is something that will show me where I am; where I was and where I am going and that will help me to identify important trail junctions. I would also like the dots to be displayed on USGS Topo maps such as those available from the National Geographic Society (NGS). I have absolutely no interest in geo-caching, with or without paper. I would like something into which I can install maps of my area of interest. I do want to be able to set way-points though.

While I am still trying to learn enough about modern GPS receivers to make an informed decision, one unit, the Garmin eTrex-20 seems to be close to meeting my needs. My only problem with this unit is that, from what I can tell so far, you load the maps into the receiver on SD chips that cost about $125 each. So, with me hiking in Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Oregon, Idaho and Washington at various times, good coverage would require me to purchase a minimum of three chips for $375. Adding that to the $180 for the unit itself and I am looking at spending over $500 to find my way around. Ouch!

Are there alternatives to using these map chips with the Garmin eTrex-20? Or, should I be looking at other units that can be loaded from the NGS CD's? I am still not sure that I know enough about the newer receivers to ask intelligent questions. What I want is a unit: with a color screen; that is easy to use and learn; can be loaded with a 1:24,000 topographic map data base, preferably cheaply; has around a 24 hr battery life; has good customer support and doesn't require a lot of arcane computer knowledge to load maps and such. I would appreciate any suggestions as to specific units and for other features that I might find useful. I would also appreciate any explanations you all might care to offer. Thanks.