Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206960 - 03/24/23 08:28 PM Music
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Okay, I'm not much up to date on all the latest digital stuff. I will admit that. I used to take my iPod so I could listen to music and fall asleep out in the wilderness. Now suddenly I found out they are no longer making (and supporting?) the iPod. What is the replacement? I could take my iPhone, but the batteries would not last long listening to music, or so I am told. Plus the batteries don't even last long when it is tracking my hike on a GPS app.
A boom box would be to heavy!

#206961 - 03/24/23 08:56 PM Re: Music [Re: Jim M]
Tom7654 Offline

I still have a couple of SanDisk Sansa Clip+ mp3 players, which are simple, lightweight, durable, and the batteries last a long time. That model is discontinued, but the newer version (SanDisk Clip Sport Plus) looks similar and gets excellent reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDMX28-016G-G46K-Sport-Player-Black/dp/B01LW2F237

#206962 - 03/25/23 08:55 AM Re: Music [Re: Jim M]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
You don’t say what model iPhone you have and there are various power banks that will charge iPhones that hikers and backpackers take along for that purpose. Some of the newer models accept magnetic units that attach to the back of the phone. I use AirPods so there is not much power draw off the phone. One does have to charge those too. I’ve never worn them while trying to fall asleep though.

The nice thing about iPhones is audiobooks, ebooks, music, gps navigation, night sky apps, podcasts and so forth. I’d say the camera apps get used the most. Since you have an iPhone just try it at home and see how long the battery lasts and choose the power bank that will get you through.

#206963 - 03/25/23 01:10 PM Re: Music [Re: Jim M]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Are you putting the phone in airplane mode when you're hiking? That would help save battery life.

#206964 - 03/25/23 01:31 PM Re: Music [Re: Arizona]
Jim M Offline

thanks Arizona. I will look into battery packs for the phone. Incidentally, I have since found MP3 players that are relatively cheap (<$30) that are very light weight and claim like 70 hours of battery life. Half that would work for me.

#206965 - 03/25/23 01:33 PM Re: Music [Re: JustWalking]
Jim M Offline

Thanks for reminding me about airplane mode. However I suspect that my gps tracking (Giga for example) would not work so I would not have the distance, elevation gain for the hike.

#206966 - 03/25/23 01:37 PM Re: Music [Re: Tom7654]
Jim M Offline

Tom, yes, I did discover there were such devices available. Scandisk was rated one of the best. The reviews of AGPtek say it is simple but looks like it would work for me and is less expensive. Thanks for your comments. Jim

#206967 - 03/25/23 01:37 PM Re: Music [Re: Jim M]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
GPS works in airplane mode in (most? all?) iphones since they have a separate gps chip. Turning on airplane mode will stop the cellular chip from constantly trying to connect, which kills the battery pretty quickly when you're not in cell range. You can turn bluetooth back on if you need it, but leave cellular off, and you'll see much better battery life while still having gps capabilities.

#206969 - 03/25/23 03:00 PM Re: Music [Re: JustWalking]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Originally Posted By JustWalking
GPS works in airplane mode in (most? all?) iphones since they have a separate gps chip. Turning on airplane mode will stop the cellular chip from constantly trying to connect, which kills the battery pretty quickly when you're not in cell range. You can turn bluetooth back on if you need it, but leave cellular off, and you'll see much better battery life while still having gps capabilities.

Good advice and I concur that gps works while in airplane mode. That’s how I carry while in wilderness always in airplane mode. That also turns off WiFi that will also keep trying to connect and waste battery as well as cellular.

If you’ve ever been tent bound for several days the entertainment will be so appreciated. That’s why I keep music, audiobooks, podcasts and ebooks downloaded before hand. But the little mp3 players are indeed light with long battery lives. However another way to increase battery life for the iPhone is to turn off the screen display while listening.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum