I was on an overnight backpack at a state park this weekend, and managed to take a tumble. The tumble put a small cut on my arm - no big deal. However, it was also a face plant, and my glasses abruptly abandoned ship - putting a small cut on my forehead, bruising the bridge of my nose, and generally left my face looking like I had contradicted my wife and she didn't take it well.

Treating the very minor injury was no problem, except that I realized there was one thing missing from my first aid kit: a small mirror. I had to guess where the bandaid went, until I caught up with the two people I was hiking with, who repositioned the bandaid.

I ordered a mirror today. I never really thought about having to use my kit to treat my face - it has mostly been used to treat others, or cuts and scrapes on my arms and legs.

Before you post the obvious, my adult children already pointed out that I could use the camera feature on my cell phone by flipping the camera. They're right, of course - but I don't like relying on electronics: first, I'd have to dig it out of my pack; second, the battery might have run down; third, in the heat of the moment, I might not remember that trick. A mirror, tucked into my first aid kit, would be right at hand if needed. (I suppose you could also argue that it doubles as a signal mirror - but not so much in the woods of Ohio.)