It seems that Band Aid has come out with a new product: Hydroseal bandages. (New to me, anyhow; I’d not heard of them before.) I had read an article about these on Section Hiker, so when I saw them at the pharmacy today...well, “ooh, shiny” and now they’re in my first aid kit (replacing plain old moleskin.)

They are touted to be a blister/wound treatment that is somewhat “fire and forget.” After draining and cleaning a blister, you apply the bandage (they come in all-purpose and specific heel, toe, finger, etc., shapes) and then leave it in place for several days. You are not supposed to apply Neosporin or other first aid creams; the bandage is pre-treated, I’m guessing. It absorbs the seepage from the wound, forming a slight bump in the bandage, which indicates “healing has begun.” You leave it in place for a few days (it is supposedly waterproof and highly adhesive, so it won’t wrinkle or fall off), and you’re good as new.

I would say that I’m anxious to see how they work, but I’m really not - at least not personally. I’m one of the leaders of a beginner trip next month, which is usually good for at least one blister. One of the other leaders will have moleskin or Spenco Second Skin, so we’re covered if Hydroseal doesn’t work as promised. I’ll try to remember to come back and post our results, if we get some “volunteers.”

They come one shape to a box, with 6-10 bandages per box, and cost about $4.50 - $5.00 a box.

Anyone use these, or have any questions I can keep in mind?