I was doing some light browsing over at WhiteBlaze, and found a couple of posts to the effect that they wouldn't recommend carbon fiber tent poles because the posters felt they were more likely to break than aluminum. None of the posts included an actual example of a pole failure; just expressed the opinion (theory?) that the poles were more likely to break under stress.

I've been using a carbon-pole tent (MSR Carbon Reflex 1) since it came out (2 years ago? 3?), and I've never had a pole fail. (Usage is probably 10 - 15 nights a year, and stress loads included one night of sustained 25 mph winds.)

I'd supply the link to one of the posts, but I didn't bookmark it, and now I can't find it. (I really don't believe it's senility setting in just yet, though I could be wrong.)

I know some of you also use carbon-pole tents (Tarptent Rainbow, among others), and I'm assuming Franco has access to customer feedback via TarpTent, so I was wondering: if you use a tent with carbon poles, have you ever actually had one fail?