Hey everyone,

In thinking about how to carry water, I came to a conclusion that felt like common sense, but I may be missing something...

Let's say I want to carry a maximum of 48 ounces of water at any given time. The best idea I can come up with? Three disposable water bottles, preferably something with a decent cap on it like what Dasani comes in (your standard Coke bottle). They're tough, they're the lightest thing you'll find per ounce of capacity, they're CHEAP, and when you're drinking water 16 ounces at a time, it's easier to budget your water (compared with sucking on a hydration bladder and being surprised when you hit the bottom). You keep those three bottles in circulation, filling the empties as the opportunity arises. If you get a hole in one or lose one, you have two extras. A person can even build a hose barb into a spare cap (and drill vent holes) to make something that would easily interface with a filter system. EDIT: The same idea could be used to make a drinking straw in a spare lid. ;-)

This is what I did on the last two hikes I went on, and it worked great. Has anyone else come to this conclusion? Any drawbacks or snags that I happened to miss?

As for mass quantities of water for washing up or boiling while in camp for meals, I've found that gallon freezer bags work great as water buckets...

Thanks,

-Rodney

Edited by carbeque (01/11/15 07:43 PM)