I didn't roll out much new stuff in 2014, although a tent is always a big addition to the gear vault. A new camera-lens outfit isn't really hiking gear but it's gear I take hiking, so fits at least a bit.

• BA Fly Creek 2 Platinum. The lightest double-wall 2-man tent I know of from a major maker, the FC2P is light, a tight fit for two adult dudes, fairly quick to set up and strike, needs some staking and guying for stability, and has a pretty tight entry, especially when the fly door is being used. To be honest, the floor fabric is so very thin I feel compelled to use an undercloth, probably eliminating the weight savings over the regular FC2. With all that said, about ten nights with no issues and it fits into very tight spots that few 2-man tents can.
  • Adidas TerreX GTX mids. Mid-height versions of the low-tops I wore last year, had all the goodness of those while protecting my ankles from hitting things, keeping out debris and allowing me to forego gaiters. The fit is slightly tighter at the toe, because that seems inevitable somehow with shoe variability, but overall a big, big success.
  • Olympus E-M1. This is the camera that finally truly straddles the mirrorless and dslr worlds, and it was my trusty image-making device this year. Weather-proof when paired with a weatherproof lens, meaning I can use it while it's raining. 1/8000 shutter for fast lenses in daylight, plus the industry's best IBIS system for low-light captures. Biggest downside is needing four batteries for a full week, but they're light.

How about you?