Although I really haven't done much overnight backpacking, I've had two mentors who did a great job of helping me not buy a bunch of junk so I wouldn't consider myself a total beginner. I've also been lurking on here for the past month reading as much as I can.

I'm wanting some advice on a light backpack. Right now I have a Gregory Reality 4,300CI and 5#s. It was great a few years ago when I was carrying 35+ pounds of rock climbing gear but for the 1-3 day trips that I'm wanting to start going on it's not ideal.

I'm looking at the Golite Jam2, ULA Circuit, and Granite Gear Vapor Trail.

I'm wanting this for 3 season camping in the KY and TN areas. My other gear consists of a Hubba Hubba tent, Sierra Designs Down Bag, and the old red backpacker Thermorest (but I might switch to a foam pad).

I like freezer bag cooking so my cooking set consists of a small stove and pot.

My question is about what size pack should I get? I know it would be best to take all my gear out to the store and try these packs out but the only pack I've found around here is the Jam2 so I will with it.

My other question is whether or not to get a pack without a frame sheet and use the ground pad instead. I love the idea but I'm afraid to take the plunge and buy a pack built like that. I'm not an extremist with light backpacking, I want it light as long as I'm not severely impacted.

I really like the looks of the Vapor Trail the best. No extra crap, just one big compartment. That's the way I like it. The only thing I would add is a pouch on the hipbelt for snacks.

Thanks for any comments.