Hi Everyone.

I was discussing the pros and cons about different stove types with my sister this holiday weekend. She is considering adding some equipment for general hiking and such (not really ready to start the all out backpacking - I am working on that!).

She asked me about the use of alcohol stoves and airline travel. I know there are strict restrictions when it somes to these questions with regular stoves. She raised a few points...

Couldn't the alky stove be washed out to be readied for travel? Might be much easier than a regular stove with all of its parts and pieces.

Why can't the fuel (denatured alcohol) be packed with the rest of your checked luggage?

I do recognize that, while being a little different than the regular set of cookstoves, any mention of the work 'Stove' or 'fuel' is likely to raise the eyes of the examiners.

On my trip to the Philmont Scout ranch in Aug of 2006 I mailed my stoves and fuel containers. After using them I mailed them back to myself. That was the procedure at the time.

Any experience with this question? Your thoughts are most welcome.

Scott