I just gotta say that yesterday and today were some very enlightening days. I have been a car camper 20 years and a whitewater kayaker for 12 years, these two hobbies have made it impossible for me to invest too much into backpacking gear (light gear) When I did go backpacking I was toting a 40+ lb pack with stuff that I might need, would like to have, would be fun, etc. Recently I invested some time and money researching and buying lighter (much lighter) gear. My base weight is still high compared to those with more dust on their boots/trail runners than myself but I have gotten down to 13.8lbs.

The 2 days of hiking were SO much more enjoyable and actually left me sitting at the fire wishing we had put down a few more miles. I got to actually watch birds and enjoy the scenery as opposed to being so exhausted and sweaty that I just wanted to get to camp. I am still a little bit of a camping snob as I have a Hubba instead of a tarp and have a 17.6 oz filter instead of chem. treatment, but I have fallen in love with "light" hiking and don't plan on ever going back.

Oh yeah, the trip was in Frozen Head State Park in Wartburg, TN. Warm day, cool night, high winds. Ran into a pack of boars on the trail and my stepdad earned his new trail name of "Hog Wild" because he started barking and whooping and hollering trying to scare them off....stellar trip!

Sean Beyer