Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150200 - 05/12/11 10:10 AM Ursak
orclwzrd Offline

Loc: Illinois(I just live here)
So the Ursak is looking like the thing to have if you don't want or need to carry a canister. In reading the descriptions, one is bear retardant but not rodent retardant, the other is the reverse. So if hiking in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois which one would/should you get? or does everyone just hang? or do you all just have canisters?

Just kinda curious. So far I've just hung a bag. Probably not high enough to be bear proof but certainly out of rodent range. No issues yet and a clean camp helps as well.

Thoughts?

John

#150201 - 05/12/11 11:30 AM Re: Ursak [Re: orclwzrd]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
The maker of Ursack ( who also happens to be a lawyer) just lost a lawsuit to have its new bag tested for approval in Yosemite. It is doubtful that the sack will gain approval, although the case is being appealed. I own a Ursack, in addition to a Bearikade, Bearvault and Garcia. I see the Ursack as a part of the solution. I use it above timber, where it is legal, prefering its lighter weight. If hanging regular food bags has worked for you and there is no regulation for more, I would just keep doing that.

The bearproof container technology is changing as are regulations. Here in California, we are required to have cannisters. This has resulted in first getting a Garcia (works but is heavy), then a BearVault (lighter), then a Bearikade (love this but it is !$$$!), then a Ursack (a supplementary container when we go on a trip where we travel both through cannister required areas and non-required areas where we are above timber so do not have trees to hang the food). When the bears figure out how to get into the now approved cannisters, we will have to buy different ones. I do not think there will ever be a permanent solution.

#150202 - 05/12/11 12:16 PM Re: Ursak [Re: wandering_daisy]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
This is a great summary.

While I have the same set of storage "tools" I still use a regular old food hang when hiking in areas where bears aren't a known problem, and simply don't have any issues. The Ursack is actually easier, since you're tying it off within reach, but of course it's susceptible to rodent attack. A canister is actually easiest, but I dislike lugging the things so only do so when it's required.

I'll stick with tree hanging anywhere it's practical, Ursack second, canister last.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
The maker of Ursack ( who also happens to be a lawyer) just lost a lawsuit to have its new bag tested for approval in Yosemite. It is doubtful that the sack will gain approval, although the case is being appealed. I own a Ursack, in addition to a Bearikade, Bearvault and Garcia. I see the Ursack as a part of the solution. I use it above timber, where it is legal, prefering its lighter weight. If hanging regular food bags has worked for you and there is no regulation for more, I would just keep doing that.

The bearproof container technology is changing as are regulations. Here in California, we are required to have cannisters. This has resulted in first getting a Garcia (works but is heavy), then a BearVault (lighter), then a Bearikade (love this but it is !$$$!), then a Ursack (a supplementary container when we go on a trip where we travel both through cannister required areas and non-required areas where we are above timber so do not have trees to hang the food). When the bears figure out how to get into the now approved cannisters, we will have to buy different ones. I do not think there will ever be a permanent solution.

#150209 - 05/12/11 01:04 PM Re: Ursak [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Rick, the first green model I have is I believe the one susceptible to rodents, but good against bears. It has the aluminum insert upgrade which is useless now and Ursack won't take them back. The later green one was the reverse I understand. I also rotate my protection, I have an old Garcia gathering dust now and a more recent Christmas present, a Bearicade which is nice. One of our CA group has had a hole eaten in her Ursack from a Lost Coast trip I believe it was.

#150210 - 05/12/11 01:17 PM Re: Ursak [Re: wandering_daisy]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Look on the bright side. Our regulations are the Darwinian force that is evolving some really smart bears. Before long they will be able to serve as rangers (a real Smoky the Bear) and college professors.

#150212 - 05/12/11 01:41 PM Re: Ursak [Re: hikerduane]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Hi Dwayne,

I'm paranoid enough to suspect given time, any model can be compromised by the right critter. I hear the Southwest deserts and canyons are inhabited by particularly dedicated rodents.

If I'm headed somewhere like that I figure I could fashion a simple rat guard--maybe made of aluminum flashing--or perhaps even cap it with a pot lid over the string. As long as it's hanging that should keep them off.

Ursack Minor rodent tunnel

Cheers,

#150213 - 05/12/11 01:50 PM Re: Ursak [Re: Rick_D]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
There is a steel mesh container called, I think, the Ratsack that is used by a lot of people who spend time in the Grand Canyon. There are rodents and ringtail cats there than appear to be able to chew through mild steel boiler plate (I exaggerate a bit here). I use an Ursack, a seven year old green version, for any food storage where bear cans are not required. It has served me well so far although I must admit that it has never really been challenged.

#150220 - 05/12/11 02:47 PM Re: Ursak [Re: Pika]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Unless a bear canister is required or significant bear problems have been reported where I will be camping, I use an Ursack with an odor proof plastic bag (OP Sack) inside. Reason: I have shoulder arthritis so I can't throw to hang my food. Actually, I never could throw well anyway! If I were skilled enough at throwing so I could get a rope over a branch the first time or two, I'd probably hang my food (still using the OP sack) and save the extra (approximately) 6 ounces.

The Ursack/OP Sack combo works fine in areas where bears have not been conditioned (by careless backpackers!) to think that hanging bag = pinata. In the latter case, the bears are going to chew and claw at any bag until they're inside. It will take them longer with the Ursack, but bears are determined critters!

The Ursack, if properly closed, does keep out birds and rodents better than does a hung nylon or cuben fiber bag. Hanging doesn't do much to keep out ravens and squirrels!

Over the years I have seen many so-called "bearproof" systems (especially National Park garbage containers) that worked for a few years and then have failed. The bears just keep getting smarter! Yosemite bears seem to be smarter than others, and I would never go within 50 miles of the place without a canister even if it weren't required!

Just remember that learning about food storage only takes one bear one time getting into a food container! Please don't be responsible for "educating" your local bears! Remember also that a bear that gets into human food will eventually be shot, so it's a life and death matter!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/12/11 02:57 PM)

#150246 - 05/13/11 11:17 AM Re: Ursak [Re: wandering_daisy]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Actually, the white ursacks are significantly rodent resistant.. I've used my white one in very rodenty areas with no issues.

And while what WD says is correct, for yosemite and the sierras, I have to admit, I'm a little tired of seeing the California sierras bear regs used to jump all over the ursak every time it is mentioned, since the fact is outside of a few areas the ursak is a great choice. It has worked very well for me for bear and rodent protection for years.

To me it's pretty simple.

1) If you live in California, it's probably not a good choice thanks to the regulations, always check regs before you
go.

2) Anywhere else it's a very good lightweight choice. used *properly* it works. If you don't use it they way they say to use it, you'll have less success.

Browse my pictures

#150257 - 05/13/11 02:16 PM Re: Ursak [Re: phat]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Also Olympic NP in Washington doesn't approve the Ursack. You either hang your food if there are bear wires at your site or use a canister if there aren't. On the ONP coast, the problem is raccoons, and the park will allow other types of hard-sided containers such as paint cans. I've been told by several ONP rangers that they want to go to 100% requiring approved canisters throughout the park, but it hasn't yet happened. I've also been told by those more familiar to the park (I'm there only once a year) that some of the backcountry rangers themselves use Ursacks.

In Wyoming's Wind Rivers, you are required (technically) either to hang or to use a container approved by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee. Since the Bearikade folks never applied to them for approval (more of that California-focused thinking), that means I'm technically illegal whether I use my Ursack or my Bearikade Weekender. However, the pics they show of "how to hang" (which I can't find any more since the USFS recently changed their websites nationwide, evidently to eliminate all useful info) would make anyone used to Sierra bears ROTFL. They show a rope thrown over a branch and then tied low down to the trunk of the tree. I suspect the food in my Ursack is a lot safer!

For a trip over 7 days, I go out with 2 Ursacks, one for me and one for my dog Hysson. I haven't yet tried a long trip with bear canister. I know that I can squeeze in 5 day's food for both of us in the Bearikade Weekender because I tried it at home once. I have not yet been on a trip with Hysson that I needed the canister.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum