Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196871 - 10/30/16 05:41 PM Please lighten my load (picture)
edfardos Offline

Loc: CA
Here's a picture of my current load out. I'd like to get under 20lbs before consumables and clothes. I'm researching a smaller pack for shorter trips. What you see easily handles seven nights. With clothes, food and a water ration, i'm at 45lbs for seven nights.

Here, 'tis, please let me know what I can lose or replace:

http://sierraglider.com/craiger/load_out.jpg (click for large image)

Edited by edfardos (10/30/16 05:46 PM)

#196872 - 10/30/16 08:07 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: edfardos]
bluefish Offline

Leave the chair and the revolver, and porcelain mug. Too much fuel. One large canister should suffice for 1 person. Swap the Katadyn for a mini-Sawyer. If you have sleep clothes, leave the bag liner. Pack is over-large.

Edited by bluefish (10/30/16 08:10 PM)

#196873 - 10/30/16 11:53 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: bluefish]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I'd also lose one of the knives, the space blanket and hand warmers, and the camp pillow. You can use your clothing for a pillow - speaking of which, what kind of clothing are you bringing?

That looks like a lot of food - but hard to tell since it's in the bag and we don't know how heavy an eater you are.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (10/30/16 11:54 PM)

#196875 - 10/31/16 12:20 AM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: Glenn Roberts]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I think the guys above nailed it. Start looking at heaviest stuff first: the chair and the firearm. Then start weighing everything to see what you need.

We don't take pillows, or hand warmers or extra fuel.

But then where we backpack, we use a bear can...so add two pounds right onto the bottom line.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#196879 - 10/31/16 01:35 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: edfardos]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Go to the home page of this site for a 27-lb, 7 day gear list and compare yours to it. The brands don't matter; look at the weights and descriptions of the gear and use those as an approximate guideline. For instance, I have a lighter tent and pack (each weighing 28 oz.) than are on the list, but a much heavier (and far more comfortable) sleeping pad, which almost makes up the difference.

When I had to lighten up (due to age and a bum knee that was surgically reconstructed after I tore just about every ligament in it), I used this list as a model. I have since lightened up several pounds more, but at least half of that was due to some rather expensive purchases. The rest of the savings were things I found I could leave at home without endangering either my comfort or safety. Those are, of course, the cheapest method of lightening the pack!

The base weight (everything except food, fuel, and water) of 15.5 lbs on this list is a good beginning for a lightweight pack, and will keep your total pack weight under 30 lbs, even if you have to add a bear canister.

You might consider making up your own gear list using the model of the one on this site, and considering your gear as made up of systems rather than of individual items. A postage-type electronic scale is a good investment--the weight of some of your individual items may shock you (mine shocked me!)!

You might check on the weight of your stuff sacks. Remember that stuff sacks are not waterproof, thanks to their drawstring closure, so are of limited utility. I use a few dry bags (one for my extra insulating clothing and one for my sleeping bag), a few plastic freezer bags (to organize little stuff like toilet articles and first aid), and no stuff sacks except one to protect my tent from snags on brush while it's being carried (in an outside pocked of my pack).

Edited by OregonMouse (10/31/16 01:52 PM)

#196880 - 10/31/16 01:51 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: edfardos]
edfardos Offline

Loc: CA
simply awesome - thanks guys!

revolver: bear spray? string of fire crackers? it's mostly for the flash-bang effect. I don't hike in bear canister areas.

chair: as shown is 1'10", the bag its in is 2ounces, so I'll lose that at a minimum.

pillow: is there a lighter option besides existing clothes? I have others which feel like a balloon. Maybe a pillow case that fits over a folded sweatshirt.

knives: never used unless i'm catching/eating fish

water: I'll look into the mini-sawyer

space blanket: 1.5 ounces, goes on tent floor as insulation and puncture resistor. i'll drop this in the summer for sure

clothing: Kuhl polyester convertable pants and Kuhl shorts, cotton Tshirts, yah heavy, one on my back, one in the bag. I can't handle non-cotton shirts, maybe you can help me find something that feels like cotton? Things dry easy in california (no humidity)

Kindle: print the next couple of chapters in a book?

gps: i'll drop it if i'm going to a known area, paper maps. I don't know how to use a compass.

glasses: get disposable magnifiers, lose the glasses case?

The 27lb 7-day pack list was my inspiration for this gear, that's a fantastic resource. I still can't believe he's at 27lbs with food and water.

I weighed what you see in the big kelty pack with a 1.5lb sleeping bag, and i'm at 26'8". A new Osprey Exos bag will put me at 22'10" base load. (no clothes, no food/water, no revolver). Fuel cans were mostly empty.

Edited by edfardos (10/31/16 01:58 PM)

#196882 - 10/31/16 04:23 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: edfardos]
bluefish Offline

Several mfg.s make stuff sacks with fleece on the inside. Use it as a clothes bag, flip it inside out at night. I did this until I got my spare clothes so sparse as to not make a good pillow. I now use a Sea to Summit Aeros. Very light, very comfortable and adjustable with EASE. I'd cut a square of close cell foam ( 2-3 oz. ) to sit on instead of the chair. You can roll this up in the stuff sack to supplement the pillow , too. My kindle weighed as much as a paperback or more. To me, I have to have something to read, so I'll take the penalty. I also have to haul some of my wife's gear, so fitness is more my thing than losing every oz. possible.

#196883 - 10/31/16 06:03 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: edfardos]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I'd nix the Nalgene bottle in favor of a water bladder...1 l minimum. and you'll want another one for dirty water feed to the sawyer mini. also repack the toiletries/first aid bag. take only a reasonable amount of any cream ( pour into small squeeze bottles(available on line, in many sizes).. and ditch the first aid bag...you already know they're first aid supplies. all placed inside a size appropriate ziplock bag. loose the t.p. cardboard roll unless if it serves a second purpose. now for the fun stuff where DO you hike and seasons?

#196884 - 10/31/16 07:19 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: edfardos]
scratchtp Offline

Loc: New York
I'd echo most of what the other said about the revolver, camp chair, filter, etc.

Camp chair - if you are just looking for some padding at rest stops you could look into cutting a sit pad out of closed cell foam or something like that Probably weigh ~4oz or less. If you like the actual seat aspect of it I'm not aware of any lightweight solutions.

A few other things I noticed. First aid kit looks bulky, I see a lot of things that look like they could be repackaged. I think a few places sell small micro bottles and containers to repack things in smaller amount. You might be surprised how much you can lose just by repackaging things.

GPS - assuming you have a smartphone you can probably replace the GPS with the phone. Backcountry navigator pro or Gaia GPS both seem to be pretty popular GPS apps and allow you to download maps from caltopo and other sources.

Kindle is tough, I doubt printing out a few chapter would really be lighter, and might be more annoying to deal with. If you have to read, the kindle seems like a pretty good option. Some people read on phones, but probably not as battery efficient for longer trips.

Can opener - the can opener might be very light, but the cans you opening aren't. A can of beans/chili might be a pound by itself, plus you have to pack out the can. I would look into lighter foods (assuming you are bringing canned foods). Freeze dried, home dehydrated, whatever it happens to be.

Sleeping Bags - Depending on your thoughts on quilts and desire to spend money, you could probably drop almost a pound or more here depending on season. The alway summer bag weighs 26 oz on Marmot's website. The EE revelation 40 degree weights less than a pound. Several other companies also make quilts if you are interested.

Cotton T shirts - wool shirts might feel better than synthetic if the synthetic is what bothers you. Icebreaker and Ibex are ones I'm familiar with.They can get pricey though and in my experience aren't as durable long term. I switched back to polyester shirts after my second icebreaker shirt developed a bunch of holes after not that much use.

I like the picture style for a gear list by the way. I feel like it helps connect things, and makes it more obvious what you are carrying.

#196886 - 11/01/16 01:16 AM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: scratchtp]
balzaccom Offline

My pillow is my fleece, wrapped in a towel. Works great. Doesn't weigh anything, because I'm already taking the fleece for warmth, and the little towel as well.

And I agree about the little pad of blue foam for a seat. We call them our "camp chairs." One goes on the outside of each our packs, so that we can even use them quickly and easily on a quick break along the trail. Also good for protecting knees while you are cooking, entering the tent, etc.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#196889 - 11/01/16 01:04 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: edfardos]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
Originally Posted By edfardos

gps: i'll drop it if i'm going to a known area, paper maps. I don't know how to use a compass.

Even knowing the very basic use of a compass can be very handy. You need 3 things: compass, pencil, paper (I carry a small notepad of waterproof paper).

Say you're going a bit off the trail to relieve yourself, or you hear a stream and go look for a water source, or whatever scenario you can think of. Before you leave the trail, take a bearing on your compass and write it down (say for example you're going to walk off the trail in a direction of 87 degrees). Now, count how many paces you go in that direction, and write it down. If you need to change direction, write down the new bearing, and write down the next count of paces. This way, you won't get lost because you have a record of exactly what you traveled. All you need to do is go in reverse, using what is called a back bearing, and follow your steps back out. Since a circle has 360 degrees, in order to find a back bearing, you need to adjust your bearing by half of that, which is 180 degrees. If your bearing is less than 180, then add the 180; if it's more than 180, then subtract 180. If it is 180, then either way will bring you back to 360 (or 0 if you prefer). So in the 87 degree example, you would add 180 and get a back bearing of 267 degrees. In your notes, also mark any landmarks you come across, like a huge anthill, or uprooted tree. That way you can remember them on your way back and it will boost confidence that you're okay. Also has the effect of a double check of your route.

It may seem simple, but it's easy to forget that things look different when going in the opposite direction. A straight in and out venture off trail may be easy, but if you have to take 5 or 15 changes of direction, you need that list to make sure you know your way back out. Sometimes it's hard to make yourself do the simple things, but think of those who got lost by going off trail. It can happen.

Granted, the more you know how to use a compass, the better, and with a map it's very effective.

#196896 - 11/02/16 12:06 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: edfardos]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Dropping the gun is going to result in the biggest drop in weight.

In the Sierra's I love my Steripen. Dry weight is comparable to an inline filter, but once they get wet they weigh more. I think they are simpler to use and quicker too.

If you have the Kindle then you only need one (maybe 2) paper maps trimmed down to area of interest. A smartphone would be lighter. I find small electronics quickly become more efficient than carrying paper in the current era. Though... you do have to be careful about power management (that is why I still always bring a paper map).

Do you have two spoons? Or is one the spatula?... I wouldn't carry that unless you are cooking pancakes. You can fry up fish with a spork.

As others mentioned get rid of the space blanket and hand-warmers (fill your water bottle with hot water!).

Are those reading glasses... many light weight and compact models available. If prescription, zennioptical sells really lightweight glasses (and the cases are lightweight too). They are lightweight because they are soooo cheap.

You first aid kit seems pretty big.... seems to have a lot of full size bottles. Just take what you need. You have an off-the-shelf first aid kit. I would go through it and only take the stuff you know how to use (also check for expired medicine).

#196964 - 11/21/16 09:33 AM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: Zuuk]
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Zuuk
[quote=edfardos]
All you need to do is go in reverse, using what is called a back bearing, and follow your steps back out. Since a circle has 360 degrees, in order to find a back bearing, you need to adjust your bearing by half of that, which is 180 degrees. If your bearing is less than 180, then add the 180; if it's more than 180, then subtract 180. If it is 180, then either way will bring you back to 360 (or 0 if you prefer). So in the 87 degree example, you would add 180 and get a back bearing of 267 degrees. In your notes, also mark any landmarks you come across, like a huge anthill, or uprooted tree. That way you can remember them on your way back and it will boost confidence that you're okay. Also has the effect of a double check of your route.

Save the math, that's why God made the compass needle with two poles. Just follow the other end of the needle. For example, my needle is red/silver, red points north, silver south. To backtrack I just follow the silver needle.

#196965 - 11/21/16 09:41 AM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: scratchtp]
PaHiker Offline

Originally Posted By scratchtp
GPS - assuming you have a smartphone you can probably replace the GPS with the phone. Backcountry navigator pro or Gaia GPS both seem to be pretty popular GPS apps and allow you to download maps from caltopo and other sources.

Tried that once, never again. Unless you pack a recharger it's not going to last 7 days. Cellphone batteries aren't robust, and you can't just pop in a new one when the old one dies. Plus, if you get into trouble you've killed your method of calling out. I work SAR, and have had to search for more than one person whose cellphone died before we could get a fix on them, usually because they were using the damn things to play games, or as a flashlight.

I don't know what GPS unit you have, but a basic low-cost (lower cost?) unit that just does GPS is more beneficial than the large units that have cameras and other fancy doodads (like the Garmin Montana). Weight is less, battery life better, and a spare battery is only a few ounces. Or, you can usually pop in AA's and just count the weight as backups for your flashlight, etc.

#196968 - 11/21/16 02:12 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: PaHiker]
balzaccom Offline

Originally Posted By PaHiker
Originally Posted By Zuuk
[quote=edfardos]
All you need to do is go in reverse, using what is called a back bearing, and follow your steps back out.... Also has the effect of a double check of your route.

Save the math, that's why God made the compass needle with two poles. Just follow the other end of the needle. For example, my needle is red/silver, red points north, silver south. To backtrack I just follow the silver needle.

That works if you are going due South or due North, but if you are hiking a trail that runs SW to NE and you head off trail to take a leak to the NNW...you'll need a reciprocal bearing to get back to the trail. Also called a back bearing, I guess.

Or you could leave a trail of breadcrumbs to follow back to the trail--no wait, that's not a good idea of witches are around...or birds.

Edited by balzaccom (11/21/16 02:13 PM)

#196969 - 11/21/16 02:20 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: balzaccom]
PaHiker Offline

Originally Posted By balzaccom
That works if you are going due South or due North, but if you are hiking a trail that runs SW to NE and you head off trail to take a leak to the NNW...you'll need a reciprocal bearing to get back to the trail. Also called a back bearing, I guess.

Or you could leave a trail of breadcrumbs to follow back to the trail--no wait, that's not a good idea of witches are around...or birds.

No, it works regardless. If you were headed SE to take that leak, the other end of the needle (silver) is pointing 180deg away...behind you. Now, if you turn the compass around and follow where the silver part of the needle is pointing, you're headed NE.

#196970 - 11/21/16 03:20 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: PaHiker]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
When I turn my compass around, the darn needle keeps pointing the same way no matter how much I turn it! Is this normal?? grin

#196971 - 11/21/16 03:48 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: aimless]
scratchtp Offline

I had to return several compasses for that same reason. The last one I finally figured it out! You have to crack the case and drain the liquid inside, that way the needle stops moving. I'm not really sure why they put it in there, I guess to protect the needle in transport?

#196972 - 11/21/16 03:54 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: PaHiker]
scratchtp Offline

Originally Posted By PaHiker
Tried that once, never again. Unless you pack a recharger it's not going to last 7 days. Cellphone batteries aren't robust, and you can't just pop in a new one when the old one dies. Plus, if you get into trouble you've killed your method of calling out. I work SAR, and have had to search for more than one person whose cellphone died before we could get a fix on them, usually because they were using the damn things to play games, or as a flashlight.

True, I should have added YMMV. For me it works well, as my phone lasts 2 days tracking GPS ~12 hours a day in airplane mode (plus taking a few photos), but I know battery life can vary a lot between phones. It probably would last 4 days if I only used it to check GPS occasionally instead of tracking distance. I also don't tend to play games on my phone when backpacking, although I think if you get lost because you ran out your phone's battery playing games while hiking, a dedicated GPS unit may not be whats lacking...

#196973 - 11/21/16 04:07 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: scratchtp]
PaHiker Offline

You're both nuts. All you need is a magnet and you can get it to face any direction you want! lame

#196974 - 11/21/16 04:14 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: scratchtp]
PaHiker Offline

Originally Posted By scratchtp
True, I should have added YMMV. For me it works well, as my phone lasts 2 days tracking GPS ~12 hours a day in airplane mode (plus taking a few photos), but I know battery life can vary a lot between phones. It probably would last 4 days if I only used it to check GPS occasionally instead of tracking distance. I also don't tend to play games on my phone when backpacking, although I think if you get lost because you ran out your phone's battery playing games while hiking, a dedicated GPS unit may not be whats lacking...

I noted that he was talking about a 7-day trip, which was my reason for the battery not lasting. On a GPS you can dial-down the tracking, I know on mine I can drop down to one point every couple hundred feet. Gives enough of a track to be able to find my way back.

One other option, that I've used in the desert, is to mark the location of the car, then using dead reckoning to track my way back to the car. That way I only need to turn the GPS on at the car and mark its location, then turn it on when I'm ready to head back. From there I just make sure that I stay on track for where the car is parked, works pretty well. You don't use a lot of battery because you don't have the tracking feature turned on, you're just adjusting your hike back, making sure your pick the "right" trail.

Yeah, sometimes I feel like just leaving them there and improving the human gene-pool.

#196975 - 11/21/16 09:27 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: aimless]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Nah, it's just your magnetic personality. smile

#196976 - 11/21/16 09:42 PM Re: Please lighten my load (picture) [Re: Glenn Roberts]
PaHiker Offline

Yep. People are both attracted and repelled by my magnetic personality. Unfortunately, so are knives, hatchets, and throwing stars. shocked

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum