Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193260 - 01/19/16 07:03 PM Testing, testing....
bluefish Offline

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93823104@N02/shares/2YTdAZ

My wife and I did 20 miles in Harriman State Park this weekend, staying at the Big Hill shelter with it's view of the NYC skyline. We had a great time, and enjoyed ourselves, but at the same time we learned quite a bit, so this is more of a gear sharing and review than a trip report. In the pic of the shelter, 2 Luci solar lights are employed, and you can see they are doing a good job of illuminating the shelter. We also used them to take a night walk down the ridge and look at the bright lights of the big apple in the distance. Fascinating, to us rural folk. This week, I had some questions concerning an addition I had built, but did not do the ducting for. The ducts were insulated with Reflectix and I had to do some research to get some answers. What I found is that, though I knew its radiant properties, the R-value is all over the place, depending on how and where it's employed and the key factor- how much air space is created in the application. With that knowledge in hand, after reading some technical documents and potential class action suits, I cut 2 72"x18" pcs. for each of our neo-air x-lite pads. We used them on top and bottom of our inflated pads, held together with some light elastic straps we use to hold the pads together in the tent. The results were excellent. I'm guessing, but the warmth radiating up from the pads far exceeded my Thermarest Luxury Camp which is R-7. The 2 pieces of Reflectix weigh in at 11 oz.; add that to the 12 oz. Neo-Air x-lite and you have a 23 oz. pad that is VERY winter worthy. We spend as many bag nights in the winter as we do the rest of the year and spend a lot of nights in single digits or below, so I feel my experience level is fairly good, especially as I've been winter camping for 45 years. . The temps were in the mid-teens with strong winds only partially abated by the shelter. Warmest night we've had!. We used a 15 degree and a zero degree bag thrown over us like a quilt. We've already spent a few nights this winter at the same temp range with these bags, but this was the best result by far. We haven't had a chance to get out below zero yet, but later this winter may provide opportunities.
Last week , I was trying to adjust my Granite Gear AC Blaze 60, which has a lot of miles on it, and the plastic back panel broke as I tried to flex it into place. As I felt the shoulder harness and the hip belt was in need of replacement anyway, I decided to quickly do some shopping. I had been looking and trying out some Osprey Atmos AG 50 packs and finally loaded one up, adjusted it properly, and decided to buy. Glad I did! Carried very well, was ridiculously comfortable, was great for rock scrambles (Twice through the Lemon Squeezer, for you Harriman fans) had more good features, including pole storage on the fly and easy access to water bottles in the side pockets, than I can list. I can haul water in the Grand Canyon easily now, instead of having a pack that just wasn't up to the task. It'll also haul my raft and assorted gear into some remote brook trout ponds this spring/summer. A learning trip is a good trip.

Edited by bluefish (01/20/16 07:20 AM)

#193273 - 01/20/16 02:24 PM Re: Testing, testing.... [Re: bluefish]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I'll +1 you on the Reflectix.

I've been using it for several years now under my pad and it makes a big difference.

I've also used it under my sleeping bag in my hammock, and it works great with those too.

And I use it for the floor of my homemade tent too.

I also fold the piece I use for my sleeping pad and use it for a sitting pad, and lay it against a tree to sit on and have a back rest.

"You want to go where?"

#193275 - 01/20/16 02:46 PM Re: Testing, testing.... [Re: billstephenson]
bluefish Offline

I've been using Reflectix professionally since '98, and have used it for many green building applications, especially with radiant heat, this is the first time; however' I've used it in double layers with an air gap specifically, which increases its r value exponentially. I've been sitting on the stuff ice fishing since I first bought some, also using it for rehydrating foods, along with the tent floor. The air gap is what really changes the game for me. I can't believe I've gone all these years without trying it. I do have a good winter pad, though heavy. I saved just about a pound with the 2 layers of Reflectix and the x-lite, compared to the CCF pad.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 371 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum