Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169502 - 09/17/12 10:58 PM fuel tablet stove
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Has anyone ever made a stove for fuel tablet? I'm thinking of purchasing a Esbit titanium stove for 15.00 but curious if anyone ever made one? The titanium weights .4 oz and thought it serve as a handy backup when my primary gas stove is low on fuel. There just no way you can feel an extra .4 oz stove plus fuel tablets. Versus carrying an extra gas canister in event the other burns out.

#169509 - 09/18/12 07:02 AM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: ETSU Pride]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I believe I have that same titanium gadget is one of my kits. Its convenience makes it worthwhile. I often carry a few Esbits as backup, and I figure I can improvise using aluminum foil and rocks, if necessary. In dire circumstances, I could build a fire. I understand lots of can stoves can be used with Esbits, as well.

#169529 - 09/18/12 02:22 PM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: oldranger]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
If for a emergency back up. I think these would be ideal.

http://www.campmor.com/ags-labs-esbit-emergency-stove.shtml

#169530 - 09/18/12 02:41 PM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: ETSU Pride]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
ETSU,

These days I use Esbit whenever I'm solo, which is most of the time. It's not at all fussy. I used rocks and foil a lot and it's easy to do (two or three small rocks as windbreak/pot support and a little square of foil on the ground - to protect ground and reflect heat).

I have since bought one of the tiny titanium wing stoves and made an aluminum windscreen. The windscreen fits neatly in my pot. It has the bottom cut up about a quarter of an inch leaving three "legs" (more stable than four) on the ground and a ring of ticket-punch holes near the top. It also has a couple tabs on the end I can crimp together to hold it together.

It just curls around the pot wall on the inside for storage, overlapping about an inch and height is just short of the lid. It started life as an aluminum foil single-use roaster pan.

Cut it down with ordinary scissors, probably in less time than it took to write this. Works like a charm. I still use a piece of foil on the ground (cut in circle to fit in the bottom of my pot.

Best, jcp

#169537 - 09/18/12 04:41 PM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: JPete]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By JPete
ETSU,

These days I use Esbit whenever I'm solo, which is most of the time. It's not at all fussy. I used rocks and foil a lot and it's easy to do (two or three small rocks as windbreak/pot support and a little square of foil on the ground - to protect ground and reflect heat).

I have since bought one of the tiny titanium wing stoves and made an aluminum windscreen. The windscreen fits neatly in my pot. It has the bottom cut up about a quarter of an inch leaving three "legs" (more stable than four) on the ground and a ring of ticket-punch holes near the top. It also has a couple tabs on the end I can crimp together to hold it together.

It just curls around the pot wall on the inside for storage, overlapping about an inch and height is just short of the lid. It started life as an aluminum foil single-use roaster pan.

Cut it down with ordinary scissors, probably in less time than it took to write this. Works like a charm. I still use a piece of foil on the ground (cut in circle to fit in the bottom of my pot.

Best, jcp

Yeah! I was thinking about those too, using rocks for pot support, aluminum foil as a windscreen, etc.

This is the pot support I'm looking at: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81259

#169538 - 09/18/12 04:47 PM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: ETSU Pride]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
ETSU,

Yeah, that's the critter I'm using these days (though from different supplier). Works fine, though you do need windscreen (I think a bit of foil for reflection under it helps as well - though I have not tested that theory.

best, jcp

#169545 - 09/18/12 07:03 PM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: ETSU Pride]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I just came across this today. It may be the first real innovation in solid fuel stoves since the wing stove.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Epicurean-Ti...=item35bf7e4930

#169640 - 09/21/12 01:51 AM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: ETSU Pride]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
Wow. .4 oz? Of course the regular one only weighs 3 oz...but .4 oz? Cool. All I use is esbit....I googled and looked at it...make sure you bring enuf foil for windbreak. They blow out easy....

#169650 - 09/21/12 05:35 PM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: PerryMK]
Samoset Offline

Originally Posted By PerryMK
I just came across this today. It may be the first real innovation in solid fuel stoves since the wing stove.

I'm curious if the stove is ment to be flipped for simmering? Is that a handle sticking out of the side?

#169651 - 09/21/12 05:49 PM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

Originally Posted By Samoset
Originally Posted By PerryMK

I'm curious if the stove is ment to be flipped for simmering? Is that a handle sticking out of the side?

Nevermind answerd my own questions!

#169739 - 09/24/12 12:35 PM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: ETSU Pride]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I use esbits (or other sold fuel) for all my 3 season solo trips. There is a article on thru-hiker about correct height for esbits stoves I tried esbits a number of times and didn't like them until I tried them inside a Caldera Cone system... and was sold. I have a few notes about using solid fuel stoves.

--mark

#169740 - 09/24/12 12:38 PM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: verber]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By verber
I use esbits (or other sold fuel) for all my 3 season solo trips. There is a article on thru-hiker about correct height for esbits stoves I tried esbits a number of times and didn't like them until I tried them inside a Caldera Cone system... and was sold. I have a few notes about using solid fuel stoves.

--mark

Thanks for posting this information.

#169741 - 09/24/12 12:41 PM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: verber]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
Holy cow Verber, I bookmarked your site, there's tons of information there. Thanks!

#169838 - 09/26/12 05:59 PM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: Cranman]
ETSU Pride Offline

I was in Knoxville today and they had the Esbit Titanium wing stove at a local outfitter. I picked it and a box of fuel cube. I'm going play with it. See how long a cup of water boils with and without a windscreen, etc. I need something to do in the evening while sitting around the house as I got nothing to study for at the moment. grin

Edited by ETSU Pride (09/26/12 05:59 PM)

#169841 - 09/26/12 06:15 PM Re: fuel tablet stove [Re: ETSU Pride]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I just tested Esbit in three setups.

1. A wing stove using a small pot in a large pot/windscreen, all Ti.
This worked the best so far.

2. A wing stove in a stainless steel Kelly Kettle.
Boil not reached

3. A Swiss Volcano stove with Esbit stand made of Aluminum.
Worked OK but tippy.

I plan to conntinue having my fun with the various canteen cup stoves on the shelf. I have 3 or 4 different styles of canteen cup stove.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum