Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169000 - 09/04/12 06:48 PM Tarptent
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Who actually has a Tarptent and how do you like them? They look cool and really nice.

#169001 - 09/04/12 06:58 PM Re: Tarptent [Re: ETSU Pride]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
We've had 3; the original Virga and Cloudburst models, and now a Squall 2. Yes, they are excellent tents - well designed and constructed.

#169002 - 09/04/12 07:08 PM Re: Tarptent [Re: ETSU Pride]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I had a Rainbow Tarptent, but moved it along after a trip or two - I just couldn't get the warm fuzzies with it. Oddly enough, the two tents I've used since and did get the warm fuzzies with, are both very similar to the Rainbow: the MSR Hubba/Carbon Reflex 1, and the BA Copper Spur UL1.

The Tarptent was very roomy, extremely well made, easy to pitch, light and compact. (To be fair, the Tarptent and Carbon Reflex 1 weigh within an ounce or two of one another. The Tarptent is half a pound or more lighter than the Hubba and Copper Spurt UL1.)

I found only one minor nit to pick with the Tarptent, and it was something that is somewhat idiosyncratic and probably not an issue outside of the area I hike. With the other 3 tents, I can pitch it with or without the fly; with the Rainbow, the "fly" is always on. This is only an issue when it's hot and sunny: the Rainbow tends to heat up and hold the heat a bit more (and a bit longer) than the other tents, which (without the fly) let air circulate better. Of course, after the sun goes down, that's not an issue, and the Rainbow cools down quickly. And it may very well be that I'm being way, way too picky about an insignificant "issue."

In the end, I'm not sure why I didn't take to the Rainbow; it was just me. Trying to look at it objectively, I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the Tarptent Rainbow to anyone. It's a great tent.

#169005 - 09/04/12 07:50 PM Re: Tarptent [Re: ETSU Pride]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I have an original floorless Squall, with front pole as a add on as I don't use hiking poles, 1.5 lbs. In the right conditions can have heavy condensation. The last 8 years or whatever that I have had it, only about 3 nights that it was bad. Always would like more room, but for the weight, yeehaw! Still shows no sign of wear or fraying, the front pole is disformed from putting small rocks under it to raise the front after the shelter is staked down. I'd like to move on some time to a lighter ZPack shelter, but for the price, TT is it. ZPacks would only save me half a pound for over $400.:( Some tarps also have a large footprint by the time they are staked out.
Duane

#169007 - 09/04/12 07:59 PM Re: Tarptent [Re: hikerduane]
ETSU Pride Offline

I've been looking at the Moment and the Notch. I like them both, maybe the Notch more.

I plan to make a homemade hammock soon, but still plan to have a tent for some trips. This winter when I'm expecting snow I will be using the Big Agnes tent for those trips instead of a hammock. Maybe next spring I can grab a Tarptent. It fun to research gears. I guess there be no such thing as a retirement account for me as it will all be blown on backpacking and mountain biking. grin

#169009 - 09/04/12 08:53 PM Re: Tarptent [Re: ETSU Pride]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Both the Moment and the Notch can take a bit of snow.
The Moment with the extra crossing pole and the Notch as it is.
Not my choice if it involves possible extended stay inside either ( mind you for the guys that like bivvies this does not apply) but they may do .
This is my Moment on snow:

and this in my Notch in snow

My suggestion would be that if you use trekking poles go for the Notch (you can get a partial solid inner if wind/sand is a problem where you are) if not the Moment may be better.
Franco
(I look after TT in Australia)

#169010 - 09/04/12 09:18 PM Re: Tarptent [Re: Franco]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Tarptent.com has really expanded their models; they now make double-wall and four-season tents as well as their old standby single wall tents. They also no longer make floorless tents (I'll bet you could get one as a special request if that's what you really want).

I have their Squall 2 and Rainshadow 2. The last is actually a three-person tent; the "2" on that tent refers to the model number. Sort of confusing because on all their other tents the "2" refers to the person capacity. I also have the Squall Classic which was made by Gossamer Gear using a Henry Shires (Tarptent) design, carries the labels of both firms and has a wonderful streamlined design. This one unfortunately has been discontinued. I love all three tents! The two larger ones (Squall 2 and Rainshadow) have hardly any problems with condensation because they are so roomy and well-ventilated. The lower height of the Squall Classic renders it more vulnerable to internal condensation, so I have to be more careful where I pitch it.

While I personally dislike any tent whose ceiling is close above my head, and I need a tent with plenty of room for my 70-lb. dog as well as me and (with the larger tents) various numbers of grandkids, I highly recommend most of Tarptent's offerings.

For those who don't use trekking poles, Tarptent.com has poles available for all models. Or you can go to Ruta Locura for stout carbon fiber poles.

Franco, I definitely noticed the difference between on snow and in snow! laugh

Edited by OregonMouse (09/04/12 09:22 PM)

#169011 - 09/04/12 09:20 PM Re: Tarptent [Re: Franco]
CJC Offline

Loc: Southern Nevada
We have an original Rainbow and it works wonderfully. Quick to setup, take down, is VERY lite weight and roomy. I like the one piece design since we hike and camp all over the west the interior stays dry when its raining out whether it its going up or coming down. The vestibule can be setup opened up and supported by hiking poles or tied up to a tree or clamped down to keep the wind out.

We are deciding which one to get next; a Rainbow 2 or Scarp 2.

#169016 - 09/04/12 09:39 PM Re: Tarptent [Re: OregonMouse]
Franco Offline

I was testing the Notch to see if it can cope with the kind of out of season snowfalls you may get on a long trail like the PCT.
The first time I only had about 1" however it was pretty wet and later on iced up.
That pics is from the second attempt , it snowed in the afternoon and most of the night.
Not that much but enough to know
That snow was also rather heavy, it was just below freezing in the afternoon down to around 22f the next morning so the fly was all iced up.
Franco

#169041 - 09/05/12 10:08 AM Re: Tarptent [Re: Franco]
ETSU Pride Offline

It amazing how tents this light can hold up in fair amount of snow fall.

#169066 - 09/05/12 05:58 PM Re: Tarptent [Re: ETSU Pride]
Franco Offline

That is a very common misconception.
People naturally equate weight with strength.
I have sold cameras (low end film cameras) that had a small lead bar in them.
(we took a faulty one apart to figure out why)
The same camera was sold with different brands on it, however the heavier one outsold the others
(apart from the bar/colour and brand the cameras were exactly the same...)
Now for tents, the important part is the fabric and the pole structure.
I can put my full weight (150 lbs) on those poles, can't do that on a couple of normal tent poles.
Silnylon is a very strong fabric (high tear resistance) , much more so than the typical (and heavier) polyester and taffeta nylons .
Silnylon is also more expensive as well as more difficult to work with
Franco

#169078 - 09/06/12 09:47 AM Re: Tarptent [Re: Franco]
ETSU Pride Offline

It wasn't so much of the fabric I'm concern about it, it's the position of the pole or lack-thereof. For example, the Moment looks more sturdier to bear weight because you can have poles crossing each other for more support where the Notch you just have two poles on the side.

#169101 - 09/06/12 08:21 PM Re: Tarptent [Re: ETSU Pride]
Franco Offline

pyramids (the hiking type...) only have one pole and do rather well.
However that pole has to be a strong pole (not an 8/9/10mm pole...) and that is the difference
Part of the reason why the Notch works has to do with the end struts (Pitch Lock triangle)
That adds considerable tension to the fabric and that is why mine does not sag under that snow.
Franco

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum