Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130970 - 03/19/10 01:03 PM NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads?
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
Anyone done a comparison of the NeoAir and the Kooka Bay sleeping pads? I need a light summer pad (already have the Deluxe Exped for cold weather)

#130973 - 03/19/10 01:55 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: OldScout]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
No comparison - but I did check, and the Big Agnes 60x20 Clearview mummy pad weighs virtually the same (11.5 v. 12.0 ounces) as the Kooka Bay 60x20 mummy pad, so I'd guess the materials are about the same? This assumes the Kooka Bay pad is not insulated; if it is, then the BA comparison is not apples-to-apples. The Kooka Bay website is not terribly informative.

#130974 - 03/19/10 02:57 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: Glenn]
OldScout Offline

I guess I wouldn't mind trying to purchase one from this guy if he's like Henry Shire but not if he's like Big Sky (or whoever that was that was taking all of those orders but not delivering for months and months and then disappeared)

#130975 - 03/19/10 03:06 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: Glenn]
OldScout Offline

Also looking at his picture of his mummy shape, I guess the rectangle shape also has long-ways tubes, not the short-way tubes of the NeoAir. I also doubt he can duplicate the inner baffles stitching of the NeoAir because he appears to be a small quantity customer maker. Who knows? His website doesn't give any of this information.

#130982 - 03/19/10 06:48 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: Glenn]
taM Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Originally Posted By Glenn
No comparison - but I did check, and the Big Agnes 60x20 Clearview mummy pad weighs virtually the same (11.5 v. 12.0 ounces) as the Kooka Bay 60x20 mummy pad, so I'd guess the materials are about the same? This assumes the Kooka Bay pad is not insulated; if it is, then the BA comparison is not apples-to-apples. The Kooka Bay website is not terribly informative.

Negative on the materials being similar. The BA pad is just a plastic sheeting material, no threads or reinforcement in the material at all. The Kooka pads are nylon, which should lend them to being more durable.

The weight is the same because the valves on BA pads are heavy, machined from solid brass, tougher maybe, but certainly not light. Thus, the BA pads use weaker material and a heavier valve, while the Kooka pads use a ligher valve (ala thermarest) and tougher material.

I'd imagine the Neo would be warmer, as the Kooka and BA pads should both have an R value around 1, but everyone seems to believe the Neo's R-value is somewhat questionable anyway.

#130985 - 03/19/10 07:13 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: taM]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
" but everyone seems to believe the Neo's R-value is somewhat questionable anyway."
Thermarest gives the Neo Air an R2.5 rating .
Having used the ProLIte (R2.2) and ProLite Plus W (R4.6) the rating of the Neo seems accurate to me.
The problem is that people struggle with the idea that what is warm for one is cold for another.
IE when you walk around town with a jacket on , someone else will have a coat and next to him there will be a guy wearing a T shirt...
Having also used one uninsulated blow up mat, the Neo Air is definitely warmer than that.
Franco
Some trivia. In Siberia there are villages where schoolkids go out and play at intermission as soon as the temperature "rises" to -20c (-4f) or above.
I am pretty sure than in the US most headmasters would be arrested for doing the same.

#130992 - 03/20/10 02:26 AM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: Franco]
skinewmexico Offline

My pillow from Kooka Bay came in on time and as advertised. Good Guy.

#130996 - 03/20/10 10:05 AM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: taM]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By taM
[quote=Glenn]

I'd imagine the Neo would be warmer, as the Kooka and BA pads should both have an R value around 1, but everyone seems to believe the Neo's R-value is somewhat questionable anyway.

I don't believe the Neo has a questionable R value, as I've used it into the 20s without an issue - without a sleeping bag. With a quilt you sleep directly on the pad.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#131004 - 03/20/10 08:14 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: lori]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I ordered pillows for my son and his kids from Kooka Bay for Christmas. Shipment was immediate, arrival prompt and the pillows are as advertised, right at 1 oz. each.

While Kooka Bay hasn't added the info to their website yet (you'll have to use the old-fashioned telephone), they sell down-filled air mats, LOTS warmer than the NeoAir (with which I started shivering in the mid-30's F) and definitely lighter than the Exped or Warmlite versions. Quite a few satisfied customers have been posting on the BPL forum.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/20/10 08:15 PM)

#131005 - 03/20/10 08:23 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

Mouse: how do you inflate the Kooka Bay down-filled mats, since inflating them with your breath would introduce moisture into the down?

#131006 - 03/20/10 08:39 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: Glenn]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
The most popular option mentioned on BPL is the 1.5 oz sack/pump from BA.

#131010 - 03/20/10 09:33 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: thecook]
Glenn Offline

Hope it works better on the Kooka Bay pads than it does on the BA pads. I tried one - it pretty much sucked. With no backflow preventer in the pad, you lost all the air you put in when you opened the bag back up to refill it.

#131020 - 03/21/10 10:29 AM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: Glenn]
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...thread_id=27714

At backpackinglight seems they're using the Big Agnes Pumphouse weighing in at 1.5oz. For the 20 some years I had the DAM I rarely used their stuff sack to fill the pad and never used the Exped one either and never really noticed a problem with using your breath to fill the pad.

More importantly, a few issues have arisen with letting air out. I experienced similar problems with the Stephenson DAM after the mesh failed that prevented the down from escaping around the valve.

Still at 21oz for rectangular Kooka Bay filled with down it is some 8oz lighter than my Exped DownMat 7. Something to think about..

Edited by wildthing (03/21/10 10:34 AM)

#131082 - 03/22/10 12:42 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: Glenn]
OregonMouse Offline

Kooka Bay recommends getting the BA Pumphouse, which weighs only 1.5 oz. It works fine for me as a pump, although as a dry bag or inflatable pillow (as BA advertises it) it is a total failure.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/22/10 12:43 PM)

#131106 - 03/22/10 11:27 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: OregonMouse]
Cesar Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
Ive ordered down from Bender and I got it within 3 days of payment. He will also answer any questions you should have promptly via email. I've had no problem.

Mouse how did you son and grandkids like the pillows? I have no idea how much my current pillow weighs but I'm sure its a lot more then 1oz.

#165730 - 05/08/12 01:13 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: Cesar]
bb1 Offline

How do you get Kooka Bays email and phone. I could not find it on the website.

#165733 - 05/08/12 02:20 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: bb1]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
Bender has stopped making equipment, unfortunately.

#165734 - 05/08/12 03:06 PM Re: NeoAir Vs Kooka Bay Sleeping Pads? [Re: bb1]
OregonMouse Offline

Kooka Bay appears to be permanently out of business. The owner tried for several months late last year to sell the business. He ceased business without notice in January of this year, leaving a bad taste in the mouths of some customers who had been waiting without word for months. I understand that refunds eventually were processed, but it took several months.

It's too bad, because they made a wonderful product--I have one!

I suspect the nearest equivalents would be the Exped Synmat UL 7 and the new Exped Downmat UL 7. Both have longitudinal baffles, slightly larger outside baffles to keep you from rolling off and are a bit thicker than the NeoAir or other insulated air pads. I understand that Big Agnes is going to a warmer and lighter insulated air pad but I haven't really checked.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 371 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum