Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151778 - 06/22/11 02:17 AM Fire strikers
kcdan62 Offline

Loc: Kansas City Missouri
The other day I was checking out our local army surplus store . I have been going to this place on and off for 30 years. They have a strang asortment of stuff. So I found there new fire striker EXOTAC nano striker this is the smallest I have ever seen. Has any one used one before ? I am looking for one the one I have I don't like . Its going to be a toss between the blast match I like the one hand operation or the nano for being so small . So just putting it out what dose every one like.

#151780 - 06/22/11 05:42 AM Re: Fire strikers [Re: kcdan62]
frediver Offline

Your kidding, right?
Get a BSA striker for $3.95.

#151782 - 06/22/11 09:31 AM Re: Fire strikers [Re: frediver]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Right. The EXOTAC line of gear is remarkable for being incredibly high priced - it is basically outdoor bling. I just carry a BIC.

#151785 - 06/22/11 10:00 AM Re: Fire strikers [Re: kcdan62]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Pricey, heavy, no need for a waterproof case. I've pretty much resigned the use of ferro rods to lighting stoves. A match gives instant fire, with tinder included in the stick.
A bic too. I used a swedish fire steel most of last year and found myself striking a match and lighting the dang fire, instead of dealing with lint, starters, etc. They do work well for stoves at the car.

#151786 - 06/22/11 10:05 AM Re: Fire strikers [Re: kcdan62]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
There are a lot of similar products that cost a tenth of the exotac.

#151788 - 06/22/11 12:29 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: finallyME]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Bic for me. One in the pot/stove, a spare one somewhere at the bottom of my pack. Still enough sparkling power even when empty.

#151790 - 06/22/11 12:44 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: frenchie]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The REI emergency matches are amazing! They light easily, aren't blown out by wind and keep burning and burning. Unless conditions are really soggy, they eliminate the need for fire starter.

I take 6 of the REI matches, a mini-Bic and a couple of paper match books as backup for the mini-Bic.

#151793 - 06/22/11 01:04 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: OregonMouse]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
OM, you and I have exactly the same setup except I carry my REI matches and striking patch with a couple of birthday candles in a vacuum-sealed "open only in dire straits" pouch. My spare Bic Mini rides in my "junk" ditty bag.

#151794 - 06/22/11 01:08 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: OregonMouse]
lori Offline

Pretty much what I do. A waterproof cylinder with REI matches, a striker strip, and a mini bic. Another bic goes in the kitchen kit.

I have a striker somewhere in a box. Bics and matches are my preference.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#151797 - 06/22/11 02:29 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: lori]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I always have a baggie for kitchen stuff with the matches and a Bic that I did not always carry. Out of curiosity more than anything else, I bought one of the flint steel things with the rod. I have not viewed the about item, I'm thinking anything mini has got to be too small when you want a shower of sparks to start a fire. I have successfully started alcohol as the priming fuel for one of my old kerosene stoves. Extra weight, but a good item for wet conditions, just need to use it more to gain experience like anything else. I've seen a young buck have trouble starting a properly set wood fire with three of those REI storm matches. I took them away from him and started it myself. They are too expensive to practice with.:)

#151798 - 06/22/11 04:29 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: hikerduane]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I have used those REI matches before for winter camping. They work great. I also bought a "Sparkie" fire starter made by UST. It weighs less than 1 oz. and puts out a pretty good shower of sparks. I bought if after watching a few firestarter videos on YouTube. Got it at REI. Kind of pricey ($15) but I don't buy a lot of this kind of stuff.

#151803 - 06/22/11 11:06 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: TomD]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I haven't carried matches for a very long time...
A BIC lighter without fuel will generally still spark. Fire strikers are a contemporary thingy to play with but they are neither light nor easy to use. Its fun to try a lot of fire starting thingys though so go for it if this is your thing. Hi Tom.
Jim

#151805 - 06/23/11 02:30 AM Re: Fire strikers [Re: Jimshaw]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Hey Jim, Is winter finally over in Oregon?

#151822 - 06/23/11 09:46 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: TomD]
Jimshaw Offline

I'd say the first day of Spring was the solstice! shocked It may hit 80 Monday - for maybe the second time this year. It has quit freezing at night but it gets to 34-36. Summer arrives mid July and lasts till middle september. Well thats high mountain desert weather.

Oh so a friend was over today and put out a cigarette out back. Half an hour later we're smelling smoke and the ground was on fire - smouldering. The soil is very dry and has a lot of organic material in it. People who live up here know that even one spark can start a fire. When we cut wood the law says we must hang for an hour after turning off the saws in case a spark landed somewhere. Speaking of fire strikers - probably most of us do not use chain saws to start fires on purpose.
Jim

#151824 - 06/23/11 10:49 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
Speaking of fire strikers - probably most of us do not use chain saws to start fires on purpose.

Interesting law. I've not seen a modern saw throw a spark, other than getting into a nail or embedded fence.

#151825 - 06/24/11 01:00 AM Re: Fire strikers [Re: Pika]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Sounds awfully familiar - I have a sealed book of paper matches and an ikea tea light (yes it's more than a birthday candle, but if I have to use this it's *really* nasty) - and my spare bic rides in my ditty bag - and the primary in my pocket (to keep it warm enough to work)

In the winter I *do* carry a firesteel, because winter here is *dry* but obnoxiously cold - and I can in fact start a fire with firesteel and lint/cattail and gloves on. which I can not do with a bic or matches - the steel and lint are also impervious (or close to it) to the outside temp which the bic is not.
Browse my pictures

#151826 - 06/24/11 01:06 AM Re: Fire strikers [Re: phat]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
Hey phat. I'll have to keep that in mind when we move to Saskatchewan. Plenty cold there in the winter.

Howie

#151920 - 06/26/11 07:59 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: Dryer]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
In winter with cold fingers or gloves the Bic/mini Bic can be a bit of a challenge and I find that at around 25f it needs to spend some time in the pocket to work.
So I use a Firesteel. For a while I have used one from Going Gear ( http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4) cheap and produces much bigger blobs than the Light My Fire version.
In my last trip I could not find the GG version so I had the Light My Fire and managed to brake that (the rod broke from the orange holder)
Then I could not start the BIc so I borrowed the Light My Fire from my mate making sure to be a bit more gentle with it..
Franco

#151978 - 06/27/11 05:45 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: Jimshaw]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Well Jim, as they say, it is very easy to start a fire, unless you are trying to.

I generally use a firesteel. Mostly because it is fun, and to show scouts how to. Of course, practicing with a match is also important. You don't realize how hard a match is until you give one to someone who doesn't have the skill level. It is amazing what boy scouts will teach you. Shoot, we spent a good hour or two showing boys how to light a lighter. A lot of parents shelter their kids a little too much, I think, sometimes.

Edited by finallyME (06/27/11 05:50 PM)

#152113 - 06/30/11 07:18 AM Re: Fire strikers [Re: finallyME]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Originally Posted By finallyME
Well Jim, as they say, it is very easy to start a fire, unless you are trying to.

Love it! In tight spots, matches have come through for me. They are very effective in all kinds of cold situations.

#152121 - 06/30/11 09:15 AM Re: Fire strikers [Re: Dryer]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Dryer
Quote:
Speaking of fire strikers - probably most of us do not use chain saws to start fires on purpose.

Interesting law. I've not seen a modern saw throw a spark, other than getting into a nail or embedded fence.

Oh I have - just watch a tyro use one to buck up or cut wood lying on the ground and have a few rocks in the dirt. they saw right through the wood into the dirt and hit a few rocks and it sparks nice.. dulls the chain to bits too.. (as I recall catching H E double toothpicks from my father while learning to clear trail with a saw and letting the bar get in the dirt)

Do that with a little bit of foxtail barley fluff on the ground when it's dry - you'll have a fire.

Browse my pictures

#152128 - 06/30/11 12:44 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: phat]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
A friend of the family started a fire mowing her field (ironically, to reduce fuel). The fire spread and triggered an allout fight, as it was in a horse-ranchy-type suburb with a lot of seven-figure homes and outbuildings. They were presented with a nearly six-figure bill and she was cited for mowing during the wrong time of day.

I can easily envision a 2-stroke saw doing the same.

#152179 - 07/01/11 03:45 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

Frankly if was out somewhere and really needed a fire striker I'd prefer a chainsaw, so's I could also have fuel... smile
Jim

#152210 - 07/02/11 02:39 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: kcdan62]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I want one of theses just because they make it look so darn cool

Zippos Emergecy Firestarter!

Rugged metal construction
Reliable flint-wheel ignition
Includes rayon-made waxed tinder sticks to quickly and easily light a fire
Waxed tinder sticks are water-resistant
Water-resistant o-ring seal on lid protects tinder sticks
Available in 1 color: Safety Orange Matte
Made in USA
Ideal for camping, hiking, extreme altitudes, hunting, and emergency situations

#152368 - 07/06/11 07:20 PM Re: Fire strikers [Re: Samoset]
Frankendude Offline

Edited by Frankendude (07/06/11 07:22 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum