Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125072 - 12/12/09 01:37 AM just for fun budget gear question
k smith Offline

Loc: ca

just for fun lets say you were on a budget of $250
for a 3 season 2 person tent and a sleeping bag which ones would you buy and why feel free to answer however you like but please don t say i would save more and buy a tarptent or lunar duo
or other tent
if the budget was $250 for both items which would it be
for me i think i would buy the kelty teton 2 tent
and a $100 synthetic bag from rei or backcountry.com
for the guy who islooking to get into backpacking on the cheap this thread might become pretty informative lol
thanks guys
divr6347

#125074 - 12/12/09 03:00 AM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: k smith]
frediver Offline

My first stop would be the REI outlet where you can find several different tent and bag selections. Next would be Sierra trading post, then campmor.
REI might get the nod due to 20% discount options several times each year.

#125075 - 12/12/09 06:42 AM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: frediver]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'd get a simple tarp (like the Equinox 8x10 from Campmor) and put more $ into the sleeping bag. Might be able to go for down--the Campmor down bag or the REI SubKilo bags still available from REI Outlet (ordered one of those yesterday for oldest grandson, $135 with the extra coupon that expired yesterday, should last him into adulthood). Maybe get some netting yardage to drape from tarp to keep the bugs off.

The above combination would be a lot lighter than an inexpensive (i.e., heavy) tent and synthetic bag, and a down bag would last longer than the synthetic (especially cheap synthetic).

As mentioned, watching for sales is really important when you're on a budget!

#125077 - 12/12/09 07:09 AM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: OregonMouse]
bigb Offline

Loc: Maryland
I agree with oregonmouse and would thhrough in a heavy duty green trash bag as a ground cloth.

#125078 - 12/12/09 07:25 AM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: k smith]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Since you're only including one sleeping bag in your list, I'm going to make the assumption that you're taking solo trips. This raises the question, would you be willing to use a solo tent instead of a two person tent? If so, go to REI's website Outlet and look at the REI Chrysalis solo tent: 3 pounds, which isn't hatefully heavy, and $125. Combine that with a 3.5 pound REI Downtime 20 degree bag, also $125 at the Outlet, and you've met your price goal at a total weight 6.5 pounds, which isn't bad for the budget you specify.

If the two-person tent is a must-have, try the REI Half-Dome 2 HC, on sale right now for $125 - you can still have the down bag. (Or, you can buy any of a number of synthetic bags on the Outlet site for less than $125, and use the rest of your budget to buy some punctuation. wink )

Edited by Glenn (12/12/09 02:33 PM)

#125082 - 12/12/09 10:04 AM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: k smith]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I totally agree with the opinion to get a quality down bag first. It will last you a long time.

#125085 - 12/12/09 10:59 AM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: oldranger]
k smith Offline

Loc: ca

great suggestions guys
like i stated in my original post this thread is just for fun to find out what everyone would choose for gear given a tight budget situation there seems to be a lot of good gear out there that a person can obtain for not a lot of cash
its not ultralight of course but a good starting point for someone new looking to try backpacking
i took a break from hiking for about 3 yrs and when i decided to go again i started with a 4lb slumberjack synthetic +20
bag and a 6 lb eureka 2 man tent i got the tent on sale at wally world for a whopping $30
i got the bag from a local sporting goods place for $40
so i had $70 plus tax in the two items
got rained on the very first night i used the tent in the sierras but it had storm shield on it so it did great and the bag
served me well for the first year back in hiking but the 10 lb
combined weight finally had to go
hopefully someone will find this thread and everyones info here useful
as to sleeping bags if i were on the $250 budget the campmor
down bag suggested earlier would be a good choice but i may also try and find a mountain hardwear lamina 20 synthetic bag on sale i have this bag and love it 3 lbs and packs down like a down bag usually you can find them on sale for around $130
very warm bag too
it does pay to shop around for the best deals usually one of the many online gear retailers have gear on sale
divr6347

#125087 - 12/12/09 11:45 AM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: k smith]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Hennesey Hammock - $139 CAD at MEC
MEC Cygnet Down bag (-10C rated) $130 at MEC
MEC Raven down mummy (0C rated) $128 at MEC

REI sub-kilo bag at REI outlet - $159 http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/780903

To get an actualy full-on three season tent of any sort of quality you'll have difficulty, and might need to go to wal-mart stuff or find a used one. if you tarp it or hammock it and/or make something yourself it's a little easier.

If you were to do that (go real cheap on the tent or tarp/hammock and/or make some of your own) I would encourage you to spend more of your budget on a sleeping bag. a good quality down bag is not cheap, but will last and will save you weight.
Browse my pictures

#125101 - 12/12/09 02:11 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: k smith]
lori Offline

I'd get a Traveler hammock from Warbonnet for about 70-80, some silnylon to make a tarp, and a down quilt kit from Thru Hiker. Pick up a foam pad and I'd be good to go down to about freezing.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#125102 - 12/12/09 02:28 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: lori]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By lori
I'd get a Traveler hammock from Warbonnet for about 70-80, some silnylon to make a tarp, and a down quilt kit from Thru Hiker. Pick up a foam pad and I'd be good to go down to about freezing.

I agree completely, other than I'd buy the silnylon tarp from campmor for 50 bucks. I positively despise trying to sew silnylon as the materiel simply laughs at my ineptitude with it's slipperyness smile

For me the 50 bucks is more than worth it instead of the aggravation of trying to sew one good seam, and hem 32 linear feet of silnylon smile

Browse my pictures

#125108 - 12/12/09 04:39 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: phat]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
While a lot of money can be saved with MYOG (Make Your Own Gear for the unintiated), not all of us have sewing skills. And, as Phat mentions, silnylon is not the easiest fabric to work with. There are a lot of low-budget backpacking gear lists out there.

In the Archives, from a year ago, there's a big thread: $200 and 20-lb. Challenge It did go into a bit of a squabble on Boy Scout requirements for Philmont trips, but there are lots of good ideas out there.

Mark Verber has some great links on his website: "Backpacking for Cheap." (One of them is the above-cited thread.)

There's a good "Ultralight on a Budget" list on the Gossamer Gear Website.

There are lots of Scouting lists (mostly free to nonsubscribers) over at Backpacking Light. Quite a few involve staying light while still meeting the Philmont requirements and keeping the costs down.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/12/09 04:42 PM)

#125110 - 12/12/09 05:06 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: OregonMouse]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Further warning about MYOG.
I am a keen follower of those treads because some of the stuff folk come up with is indeed very clever. However I have also noticed that very often the final product is the third ,fourth (or whatever ) prototype and by then even an off the shelf top of the line version would have been a lot cheaper.
Of course for most , MYOG is done for fun as a hobby, but if it is just about saving money it may not work out as expected.
Franco

#125116 - 12/12/09 06:54 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: k smith]
Paul Offline

Loc: California

#125119 - 12/12/09 08:26 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: Paul]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
8x10 Equinox sil tarp, $80
Campmor 20-F down bag, $120
plastic trash bag ground sheet, <$1
mosquito head net, if needed, <$5
8 good stakes and some light guylines should be less than $20

#125122 - 12/12/09 11:22 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: Franco]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
"Further warning about MYOG."

Agreed, and as you went on to say, MYOG is done by some for fun as a hobby. Thus I think there are different categories of MYOG folks (or at least projects). One extreme are the MYOG addicts that love to push the limit and/or try out something unique --- and then share their results with others so-inclined on appropriate forum threads. I really appreciate these people --- I'm sure a lot of innovation that we all ultimately have access to comes about through this sort of thing.

Another extreme is someone with at least modest sewing skills and access to a sewing machine and perhaps a few simple tools --- that person then using patterns & instructions to make well-described items, perhaps from kits --- Ray-way, or other things found via links such as Mark Verber's site or this one. Folks more focused on saving money also have the option to customize their gear, of course, but they hopefully don't need to go through multiple prototypes before they get it right if working off of a tested pattern.

That said, I've done almost no MYOG stuff myself, so this is an external observation only (!).

#125125 - 12/13/09 01:29 AM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: kbennett]
phat Offline

Indeed. but the OP asked about a 3season tent.

if he's willing to tarp or hammock there are cheaper options.
Browse my pictures

#125139 - 12/13/09 01:20 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: k smith]
bearbait Offline

Loc: Cape May Co.South Jersey

Campmor Goose Down 20 Degree Mummy Sleeping Bag Long
Item #: 40066
Our Price: $129.99 reg. $119.99
Regular Price: $149.99
Savings: $20.00
Eureka Apex 2 XT - Tent
Item #: 28104
Our Price: $119.99
plus S&H should come to around $250.00

#125161 - 12/13/09 05:50 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: phat]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By phat

Indeed. but the OP asked about a 3season tent.

if he's willing to tarp or hammock there are cheaper options.

Tent

Then spend the rest for a good bag.

#125162 - 12/13/09 07:32 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: OregonMouse]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

In addition to the links that OregonMouse (OM) gave, there is a similar thread over on Sgt Rocks site:

http://hikinghq.net/300_challenge.html

Note to new members....using the Search feature can find you lots of interesting info! And be sure and check out the archives. I think there are tips in the Admin section on how to search past years most efficiently.

Tango

#125164 - 12/13/09 09:31 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: Glenn]
grit Offline

Loc: Happy Jack, AZ
You're right, Glenn. Someone removed the comma and the period keys from the keyboard.

#125176 - 12/14/09 07:50 AM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: grit]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
They got the caps keys too!

#125258 - 12/15/09 11:32 AM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: Pika]
Cesar Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
How about a slightly damaged bag that can be easily fixed.
Marmot Sawtooth 95%
Or better yet
Marmot Pinnacle 125$
For shelter if a tarp is ok
Alpinlite 8x10 Tarp 84$
if not get a
BetaLight 127$ and some 24$ treking poles from wally world

#125290 - 12/15/09 03:58 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: k smith]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Depends on the temperatures you want to go out in.

If you want a good three season tent, I'd get a Timberline 2 ($129 at Campmor; can probably go for less if you get it from Johnson Outdoor's factory seconds sales) and one of the Lamina series of bags (Lamina 45 runs for about $109) or a Marmot Pounder (also about $100).

The Timberline is a 3.5 season tent; I've been out in it in Jersey summer heat, when it is sleeting, and when it is freezing cold. Good airflow for the summer w/ the windows open. When the windows are closed, we usually found ourselves 10-20 degrees warmer inside than outside, particularly after the tent had a chance to warm up. Weight is an issue; less so if you get a Timberline 4 and split the tent 4 ways.

Steadman

#125292 - 12/15/09 04:14 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: Steadman]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Wow, I'd forgotten all about the good ole' Timberline. Used one of those for about 10 years, and never had any complaints about its performance. Of course, it weighs a ton - but for the price, a definite recommendation.

#125310 - 12/15/09 09:15 PM Re: just for fun budget gear question [Re: k smith]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Hmm well first I shopped on ebay for two monthes till i bought a new Mountain smith cross country pack for 64.00 Dicks sporting goods had a clearence sale on 0 degree field and stream mummy bags for 59.00 that leaves 122.00 Oh buy the way after the holidays I will test temp rating of the bag on the deck. I will post my results! Maybe it is junk but it had excellent reviews. Bought a grease can at wally world for a pot 6.00 . I purchased 20 yards of sil nylon at noah lamport and am curently making a jones tent 2. I made a alcohol stove out of miller cans after the second try that is awsome! Salvaged a piece of tyvek from a construction dumpster for a ground cloth. I am a laid off Construction worker with more time than money! So how am I doing?

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum