Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
BackcountryGear.com
backcountry gear

---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Long-Distance Hiking
Jump to new posts Re: Hiking Solo by Matt Miller @ Yesterday at 01:38 AM

Solo hikes are great. Not only you can manage your own pace. But also, the sense of accomplishment a 'solo' hike gives is indescribable. But the responsibility falls only on your own shoulder and there can be a lot of risks and threats out there as
Long-Distance Hiking
Jump to new posts Re: What hiking the entire CDT looks like . . . by Matt Miller @ Yesterday at 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By JesterPoint of view video of the Continental Divide Trail: TBWCDTPOV Interesting watch! But your camera is a bit too shaky at times. If you compile your videos on Premiere pro, do use the effect Warp Stabilizer. It works l
Trip Plans, Reports & Inquiries
Jump to new posts Re: Sonora Pass Emigrant trail by Glenn Roberts @ 11/14/18 10:46 PM

As well you should be! All I know is what I hear on the news (God help us all), but it sounds to me like this is about the worst fire anyone has seen in our lifetimes? Tell her to be safe, and that we all appreciate her efforts.
Jump to new posts Re: Sonora Pass Emigrant trail by OregonMouse @ 11/14/18 08:54 PM

Sounds like a great trip, with a good time had by all! It's great you could get out of the smoke, which I hear has been so bad that they've closed down the schools. While we're discussing daughters: My daughter-the-veterinarian is in Chico helping
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Fjallraven G-1000 Alternatives for Tough Jacket by Cal_Hawkeye @ 11/14/18 04:44 PM

I really like the Fjallraven G-1000 material in that it has more of a tough "canvas" like quality that seems like it would be better than the normal goretex shell for hard-use, abrasion resistance, etc., but can be waxed up to provide decen
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: What's your water crossing technique/method? by Matt Miller @ 11/14/18 02:31 AM

I Face upstream and sometimes use trekking poles to maintain my balance if it is a fast moving stream. I also look for pointed rocks as flat rocks, though easier to step on, can cause slipping.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? by Matt Miller @ 11/14/18 02:19 AM

A flask of whiskey. Mostly Everclear with some Kool Aid.
Jump to new posts Re: Sonora Pass Emigrant trail by balzaccom @ 11/13/18 09:44 AM

After heading up to Sonora Pass, we decided we'd hike where the weather would be a bit warmer the next day. And since we had fun following the old pioneer trail yesterday, today we took the West Side Trail from River's End on the Cherry Lake Road ba
Jump to new posts Re: Sonora Pass Emigrant trail by Glenn Roberts @ 11/12/18 10:38 PM

Sounds like a fun ramble. Here in the East, we’ve got lots of historical remnants: old logging roads, abandoned railroad beds, dugout basements of early 1800s structures, and prehistoric Indian mounds and earthworks. What we don’t have is the ki
Jump to new posts Sonora Pass Emigrant trail by balzaccom @ 11/12/18 09:00 PM

With our youngest daughter in town, we headed up to our cabin near Sonora to get some cleaner air and hopefully to a little hiking. The air in Napa has been so bad that we haven't been out much at all, on a bike or on foot. It has been truly misera
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: To Pole, or Not to Pole... by Dryer @ 11/12/18 05:19 PM

Good points, but my poles all fit my tarps fine. I don't need more that 4 feet of headroom. If I want something taller, I simply lash on a stick. Collapsing poles....this happens when I've stepped off of a steep drop off, 1' or so, putting my wei
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: To Pole, or Not to Pole... by OregonMouse @ 11/12/18 11:00 AM

Quote:. . .once you learn how to use trekking poles, you won't be adjusting them anyway. You will have to adjust the poles if they are used to hold up your shelter! The lengths I need for the tents I own are all longer than what I need for hiking!
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: To Pole, or Not to Pole... by Dryer @ 11/12/18 09:16 AM

You initial thoughts are dead on....however, poles are a personal thing. Pack weight and over all stuff weight at their minimums. I own both telescoping and fixed length trekking poles. Since I maintain a nature preserve, my fixed poles get used 9
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: To Pole, or Not to Pole... by Petro1234 @ 11/10/18 08:23 PM

The pack does little to alter your centre of gravity, but it puts weight to somewhere where your feet do notstick out, it puts your whole balance of your skeleton out of allignment. Poles i thinsnk some like and some do not, but 1 pole seems univers
Jump to new posts Video: Hike in Costa Brava, Spain | Day 5 by walkingnatur @ 11/10/18 04:02 PM

In today's video we are sharing with you Day 5 of our Great Mediterranean Coast Hike where we walked through Colera, Llançà and Selva de Mar in Costa Brava. We started our day feeling very refreshed and energized after having a nice rest at the ca
Jump to new posts Re: Mediterranean Coast Hike in Costa Brava, Spain by walkingnatur @ 11/10/18 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By aimlessWhile I am sure that your videos will appeal to some hikers, travel to Europe in order to hike is not in my future plans, so I am not part of your audience. I hope your audience finds you. Hello! Thank you for the suppo
Winter Backcountry Travel
Jump to new posts Re: Hiking in the Dark by wandering_daisy @ 11/09/18 10:30 PM

Even though I feel you can, with proper gear, make night hiking safe, it is not my cup of tea either. I turn into a pumpkin the minute the sun goes down. As much as I would like to stay up and watch the stars, I cannot even do that since I fall asle
Almost Over the Hill
Jump to new posts Re: Memories by wandering_daisy @ 11/09/18 10:23 PM

I will not be burying any of my old gear either. I slowly retire the gear or repurpose it. I used pieces of my old climbing rope and old kid car seat to make a swing for the grandkids. I have used old tent poles in my garden for pole beans. Old ten
Backcountry Health & Safety
Jump to new posts Re: Stretching After Hiking by wandering_daisy @ 11/09/18 09:50 PM

I do not think you have to necessarily stretch, but it helps to start hiking slowly, and then do a "cool down" at the end of the day. Once you have camp set up, moving around often helps. As for driving home, I stop a lot and walk around.
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Fjallraven G-1000 Alternatives for Tough Jacket
by Cal_Hawkeye
11/14/18 04:44 PM
To Pole, or Not to Pole...
by Glenn Roberts
11/01/18 03:14 PM
Save a Goose? Recycle Down?
by Jim M
10/24/18 08:17 PM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
It’s deja vu all over again
by Glenn Roberts
11/01/18 10:18 PM
Members
by GrumpyGord
10/17/18 12:53 PM
Gear for Women
by balzaccom
10/17/18 01:06 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Insulated Jacket from Fleece Pattern?
by Bill Kennedy
10/16/18 04:01 AM
avalibility of thin ti rod
by the-gr8t-waldo
01/26/17 04:45 PM
Joann fabrics and quilt supplies
by sashurlow
05/02/15 07:32 AM
Featured Photos
Breakneck Ridge, New York
May 2012 Eclipse, Lassen Park
New Years Eve 2011
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 42 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
theRVN, Matt Miller, HikeStudents, Suds, Catfan63
12659 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum