Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
BackcountryGear.com
backcountry gear

---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Backcountry Beginners
Jump to new posts Re: The perils of They by 4evrplan @ Today at 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By Glenn RobertsAnd, sometimes, make you wonder what they are smoking and if they would share! But if they shared, you'd end up making bad Youtube videos too.
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Can a Wind Shell be Waterproofed? by 4evrplan @ Today at 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By OregonMouseAnd the whole idea of a wind shell is something lightweight that repels most of the wind (and bugs!) while being quite breathable (far more so than a rain jacket) and a suitable outer layer for temps in the 40s and 50s
Lite Food Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. by Margarette @ Yesterday at 09:07 PM

Mountain House Chili Mac will always be on top of my favorite freeze dried food.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Who needs a campfire? by OregonMouse @ Yesterday at 08:55 PM

Quote:I feel like campfire is necessary to complete the camping experience. Then you definitely don't want to backpack west of the Mississippi. Out here in the west, fires are increasingly banned for most of the backpacking season (which correspond
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: What multi-tool do you take? by OregonMouse @ Yesterday at 07:15 PM

I saw an article recently on how to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew--but when I clicked on it, no text came up and the video wouldn't run!
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: What multi-tool do you take? by GrumpyGord @ Yesterday at 02:30 PM

I am sure that many of us have one of the large SA knives which we purchased when we started backpacking because we were sure that we would have to build a fortress and overhaul our car in the woods in order to get back home. Most of them are now rel
Off Topic: All-in-One
Jump to new posts Re: New members by BZH @ Yesterday at 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By MargaretteI am also a newbie, hello fellow hiking enthusiast. Welcome!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Who needs a campfire? by BZH @ Yesterday at 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By MargaretteI feel like campfire is necessary to complete the camping experience. I like a nice campfire, but in some of the most spectacular places I have been campfires are illegal because they are so very detrimental to the n
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: What multi-tool do you take? by BZH @ Yesterday at 11:21 AM

I still bring the very large Swiss Army knife I bought when I was a kid with my paper route money. It has a wine opener on it. Why do I need it? You never know what situation you will find yourself in: https://youtu.be/iAo-EEn7f44?t=169
Off Topic: All-in-One
Jump to new posts Re: New members by Margarette @ 07/15/19 11:00 PM

I am also a newbie, hello fellow hiking enthusiast.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Who needs a campfire? by Margarette @ 07/15/19 10:56 PM

I feel like campfire is necessary to complete the camping experience.
Lite Philosophies & Practices
Jump to new posts Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? by OregonMouse @ 07/15/19 10:41 PM

Unless you have to put the bag down, in which case your meal is all over the ground! Cutting the bag also means you have more garbage--instead of being contained in the used bag, you need a second bag to keep the first one sealed up.
Backcountry Gadgets
Jump to new posts Re: To chair or not to chair by JustWalking @ 07/15/19 09:11 PM

Not really rethinking, staying with what works for me. If I'm planning on spending any amount of time at camp, I bring a chair (Helinox Ground). Well worth the weight. If I'm probably hiking all day and spending little time at camp, I don't bother br
Jump to new posts Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? by JustWalking @ 07/15/19 09:08 PM

"A long-handled spoon is, of course, mandatory for eating from the freezer bag." Not if, after rehydrating the meal, you simply cut the meal bag in half horizontally. Much easier and neater to eat that way.
Jump to new posts Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? by JustWalking @ 07/15/19 09:07 PM

I've gone back and forth. Used to eat out of either the freeze-dried food bag, or ziploc bags I repackaged the meals into. Then I started to just reheat in my pot, but found cheesy meals (which I love) a bit of a pain to clean, so I'm back to eating
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: What multi-tool do you take? by JustWalking @ 07/15/19 09:03 PM

I also bring a Squirt PS4. I don't bring any other blade. I put tweezers into my first aid kit during tick season, but leave it out for the colder months. I use the PS4 on pretty much every trip, mostly to open stuff.
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: What multi-tool do you take? by Petro1234 @ 07/15/19 06:03 PM

A pair of mini pliers and a swiss blade with a tin opener and awl, I also take a rat tail file just incase i need to alter something hard. A bow saw blade can also be brought if i think ill be cutting wood. On the whole of it the pliers have mostly b
Backcountry Beginners
Jump to new posts Re: The perils of They by Glenn Roberts @ 07/15/19 05:57 PM

And, sometimes, make you wonder what they are smoking and if they would share!
Backcountry Gadgets
Jump to new posts Re: To chair or not to chair by Glenn Roberts @ 07/15/19 05:56 PM

East of the Mississippi, I'd add poison ivy and ant hills (especially the red variety.)
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: What multi-tool do you take? by Glenn Roberts @ 07/15/19 05:51 PM

The Gerber Dime is similar. The blade isn't as pointed - would that help save those fingers?
Backcountry Beginners
Jump to new posts Re: The perils of They by OregonMouse @ 07/15/19 04:22 PM

Well, it will. if you store your dirty socks in the food bag! I take a separate plastic bag for the dirty socks, which will probably also be wet or at least damp and impart the dampness (as well as the odor) to your dry stuff, not just your food. A
Backcountry Gadgets
Jump to new posts Re: To chair or not to chair by OregonMouse @ 07/15/19 04:10 PM

A few other things to avoid sitting on or against: In cattle country, what are euphemistically known as "cow pies." Trees with lots of fresh pitch in their lower extremities. It is possible to remove it from clothing (saturate with cooki
Jump to new posts Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? by OregonMouse @ 07/15/19 04:01 PM

My hatred of washing dishes still outweighs any mess caused by the freezer bag, which will end up in the garbage whether used to rehydrate the meal or just to contain the dry meal. If I were going to switch from the freezer bag, it would be to a pla
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: What multi-tool do you take? by OregonMouse @ 07/15/19 03:42 PM

Not having a lot of gripping strength in my fingertips (for such things as rethreading pack straps that have slipped out of their buckles), I find pliers an essential tool. I also use them as pot lifters. Second most useful are scissors, for trimm
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Can a Wind Shell be Waterproofed? by OregonMouse @ 07/15/19 03:32 PM

And the whole idea of a wind shell is something lightweight that repels most of the wind (and bugs!) while being quite breathable (far more so than a rain jacket) and a suitable outer layer for temps in the 40s and 50s. Adding waterproofing would d
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Can a Wind Shell be Waterproofed?
by 4evrplan
07/15/19 12:23 PM
What multi-tool do you take?
by Glenn Roberts
07/14/19 08:51 PM
Prescription sunglass.
by Rodrigo
07/04/19 01:19 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Who needs a campfire?
by balzaccom
06/27/19 11:00 AM
Time to do some Trail Crew Work
by balzaccom
06/20/19 11:58 AM
West Michigan hiker seeking hiking friends.
by THEHIKER
06/18/19 04:06 PM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
DIY pot cover/bag
by mira.mikes
02/24/19 03:52 AM
Featured Photos
Breakneck Ridge, New York
May 2012 Eclipse, Lassen Park
New Years Eve 2011
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
kendricksmit, Margarette, fish13fi, Montrealer, Andrew James
12771 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum