Quote:
I'm not sure an
incapacitating injury for me, lets say, while I have a partner with a cel phone who can walk to the highway in 4 hours of hard hiking counts
I love the picture! Thanks for sharing it...

You are exactly right in regards to the use of the PLB. It should be stressed that it should only be used in times of severe emergency when all other options have been exhausted.

Having said that, there are times, even in the situation you found yourself in, that would warrant the use of a PLB. I encourage people to carry anything they have at there disposal including, along with their PLB, a cell phone (if there is cell coverage where they're going), sat phone (if they own one or can afford it), a night time signaling device (headlamp w/ a strobe mode, a dedicated strobe light, etc.) and a daytime signaling device (signaling mirror, whistle, etc.). Obviously most people don't carry a sat phone and I personally seldom take my cell phone (just too unreliably built and spotty service especially in the western US). I always carry a headlamp w/ strobe and a signaling mirror even on dayhikes. You might have found yourself injured, though highly unlikely, that would need immediate attention such as severe internal bleeding (or severe bleeding of any kind), ruptured appendix, severe head injuries, etc. By turning on the PLB in these instances you have began a series of events that is the quickest and surest way of getting yourself or the person rescued, way before 911 could respond. The greatest attribute that the PLB has brought to market is not that it will work in the most remote parts of earth (which is pretty cool), but that it has the potential to save even when other options are available. For instance, once you've set off the PLB, you can then communicate with 911 the injuries involved which information those responding will use to make sure they're ready for what's to come.

Although the likely hood of something happening this severe is very remote, one can never know. It's good to know that because you own an ACR PLB you can substantially minimize the injuries sustained will be life threatening. Would I carry the PLB on the trip you were on? Only if I felt that there was a small potential for severe injury. So my answer would most likely be yes (4 hours of hiking is a good distance if there is a possibility of injury).

How bad would it have been if something terrible would have happened on your trip, where the PLB would have been a life saver, but it was sitting home in your gear closet? The weight of the unit (specifically the battery) is the biggest concern for the engineers at ACR because they know that if it's too heavy, many people won't justify taking it. This is always brought up in our sales meetings. They are constantly working on solutions that will lighten it up and make it super ease to use. Of course it has to withstand all the outdoors can throw at it which requires a battery that works in any temp and under severe conditions. That is why it weighs what it does.

There have been several rescues attributed to the PLB this year when cell phone reception was good and the road was fairly close. That is the beauty of having a PLB over all the other emergency options available. When it is turned on, the folks who respond to the signal know that someone's life is on the line. That is the exact reason why a substantial punishment awaits those who misuse it.