Quote:
New here, quick question, don't mean to wander off topic...

It looks to me that you're right on topic Adam.

Quote:
Take it easy on me Richard if I'm missing something obvious

Not a chance buddy. You chose to enter the fray now .... "Lay on [Adam] and woe be he who cries 'Hold, enough.'"

Quote:
but, as per the whole filtering the water w/wo treatment using bandana/sock/nylon/whatever, how does this work with small trickling sources?

I use LuxuryLite trekking poles (the Big Stik or Trail Stix) which may be used to direct, perhaps even siphon, water. But I also have a number of other items I might use. E.g.s; plastic bag, homemade cup or Heine pot, windscreen, Groundhog stake, etc, etc, etc. "Improvise, adapt, overcome!"

Quote:
I'm not generally too concerned about filtering and tend to drink from what's available but a couple of years ago on the AT somewhere in VA we spent one long hot exposed day without a decent source and stumbled upon just the tiniest trickle, it wasn't clear and it wasn't deep and I was sure glad we had a pump-style filter if for nothing else to suck up the water.

As i mentioned earlier .... one may finds exceptions for every rule.

Quote:
I've often considered going without a filter but I can't imagine, at least in that situation, rare though it may be in that part of the country, what I would've done without the hose/straw whatever.

No offense Adam but perhaps you lack imagination. I repeat no offense. Close friends, etc, have said the same to me.

Quote:
It took us a good long bit but we managed to fill up quite a few bottles and carry on. I just can't think of an easy work-around. Anyone tell me the right way to get around this? Maybe some kind of mouth-initiated siphon method using a tube?

What I did in similar a situation last year was to dig a small channel and divert water into an LL pole which then filled my cup and so on. I could also have dug a small hole and simply dipped a cup/bag in it but using the pole was quicker.

"Easy workaround?" Easy enough for me. YMMV.

Quote:
Thanks, sorry if I did anything wrong with my posting here. Adam

Well Adam, we'll accept your apology .... this time. Fail us again and it's .... *Guillotine!* You've been warned.

Peace,

Richard.