Quote:
My point was to ask what does it matter- made in us or not, if it made by cheap imported labor. The economic problem is not going to be solved by purchasing more us made stuff. And it does matter that illegals work here - taxes or not.

Wow! So you are categorizing all people that are either born in Mexico (or other places not the US) as illegals, as you seemed to have done in your previous two posts?! What is that?! I'm personally from immigrant decent, but I have a high paying job.

Plus, as far as "fixing their problems at home", what do you think drove the European immigration waves? The great Potato over abundance? All the religious tolerance? Boy I just wanted a cruise?

Besides, we don't need cheap labor to move here to "take" US jobs, we're more than happy to move those jobs out of the US. One way or another those jobs are no long accessible to the US, this is the world economy. Shutting down the borders is not going to change that. Innovation is the way forward, not clinging on to some past notion of what jobs we should have available to us. If we do not innovate, yet still demand to have the highest standard of living on the planet then our jobs are not taken, we have decided to give them away.

Thats why so many of the US cottage gear makers are so great, not because they are in the US, but because they innovate. I just hope that we continue to have an economic environment that encourages new ideas (even if the people who have them weren't born here).

Edited by drow42 (05/06/08 05:01 PM)