Hey, you got the cleaning of your husband's stitches done before you freaked out, didn't you? That's the important part, and you handled that just fine! Your reaction after that is understandable. If you weren't able to re-bandage right away (as I gather, perhaps incorrectly, from your narrative), that's no big deal. It was probably good that the wound was exposed to air for a while to dry out. I had a similar reaction when my children got hurt (as kids invariably do)--I bandaged them up, took them to the emergency room if stitches were needed, consoled them and then went off and laid down (sometimes for a considerable period!) to recover. I never look during medical TV shows when they show the gory parts, and I avoid horror movies.

I suspect that all of us have some kind of phobia or other and manage somehow to get through it. I also freak out over large bugs like cockroaches or spiders (yes, I know that spiders aren't insects) but have managed to kill them (when they're in the house) regardless (the killing freaks me out, too!). And I usually feel very weak in the knees and queasy in my gut afterwards. That's not important; it's what you do to cope with the situation up front that counts.

If you feel that this fear of blood (more common to big strong men than to women, by the way) is a handicap, then ask your primary care physician to refer you to a good psychiatrist. I suspect it will take only a few sessions before you have a lot more self-confidence.