Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193009 - 12/30/15 10:54 PM need warmer sleeping setup
bob13bob Offline

Loc: California, United States
using thermarest folding pad beneath.
down sleeping bag "rated 0 F".
sleep clothed with beanie and bag mummied up.
jacket layed on top of my face

sale rep said they changed the rating system to a third party standardized rating system now. My bag might hit 15-25 on the new standard my guess.

should i upgrade my bag, upgrade to a warmer sleep pad, or 2 layer sleep bad?

other issue is inner condensation wetting the bag. sales rep recommended opening the tent doors a bit at night. have to balance internal tent temp with keeping it dry.

what do you guys think?

#193012 - 12/31/15 03:29 PM Re: need warmer sleeping setup [Re: bob13bob]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Can you supply more detail?

What make and model bag, and what configuration and fill?
What conditions are you camping in, when are you warm and when do you get cold?
What shelter are you using?

I'd probably begin with a better pad--the Z-rest is a mild-weather pad and might be 90% of the cause for your cold nights. "Campcraft" might be part of it as well, as microclimates where you choose to set up your shelter can vary a lot from one spot to another. Condensation issues imply moist air and I agree with the sales person to try and ventilate the space overnight. Cool and dry usually beat warm and soggy.

Cheers,

#193016 - 01/01/16 09:05 PM Re: need warmer sleeping setup [Re: Rick_D]
bluefish Offline

Those pads have an r-value of 2.2, which puts them firmly in the warm season category. We just did 4 nights into the 20's with one 0 degree bag thrown over the 2 of us like a quilt. Both my wife and I have inflatable pads in the 3.5 range and we put a SOL emergency blanket foil side up on the floor of the tent. We were very warm. We also had gusty wind and 1 night spent inside the clouds. We had some condensation on our fly, but the bag stayed dry and lost no loft. Some dislike the tent we love because of condensation issues; we've learned to guy the sides out high when we suspect condensation issues will be present. We use forked sticks, piles of rocks, or whatever is handy to arch the side fly guy lines out to let the tent "breathe". The door always remains partially open, pointed away from the wind if we can. I suspect your bag is FAR off the zero rating. Compare it to the loft of some reputable bags that claim a zero rating. I have a bag with a 15 degree rating that I've taken below zero, so it also depends upon the sleeper. When the temps head for single digits and below, I use a bomber hat that is extremely warm, and sometimes even a balaclava under it. Beanies aren't enough sometimes and you want that warm, moist breath outside and not in your bag. That's also because we use our bags like a quilt so your bags hood may well suffice. We also upgrade our pads when ice, snow and low temps are on the menu. We use pads with r-values around 5 and sleep fine directly on snow and ice. As Rick D said, the pad may be your prime culprit if you are cold in the teens. I froze my butt off on a very unexpected cold, snowy Memorial Day in Vermont with a light pad. Bag was fine (and I was using it as a bag), but the cold just radiated into me from the cold ground. In the middle of the night I finally piled everything I had underneath me and caught some fitful sleep. The insulation in the bottom of a bag doesn't do much when it's compressed.

#193018 - 01/02/16 10:49 PM Re: need warmer sleeping setup [Re: bob13bob]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I'll +1 on the SOL emergency blanket on the floor of your tent. That will help keep you warmer. I use a piece of reflectix bubble foil insulation for a floor on my tent. I'll also lay one over my sleeping bag if I get cold and it helps. It will trap a little moisture, but it turns to frost on top of the bag at those temps.

My bag is rated down to 20º with a 32º "Comfort rating", and that's pretty accurate. I'm warm at 30º but slightly chilly at 20º so your's is probably similar when using the new ratings. I have a down jacket I use in cold weather and I'll lay that over my bag when I get cold too. It works great and keeps me warm when it's 15-20º

Cracking open the tent door will help with condensation. My tent will get a lot of that if I seal it up tight, but it stays a lot warmer too, so I usually try not to bump the walls.

Eating something before you go to bed will help keep you warmer too. That can make a big difference.

Now here's something completely different to keep you warm:

I made and use a "Super Shelter" style tent out of SOL blankets. It can be used with a campfire. Lot's of backpackers don't like campfires, and lot's of places don't allow them, but if you don't enjoy a campfire and can safely make one it's a pretty awesome alternative to being cold on long winter nights. You don't need a campfire going all night long. I make one to warm up the tent and my sleeping bag and crawl in while the fire is still going and let it burn down to coals. Depending on how cold it is I might stoke it up in the middle of the night, or I might wait until early morning. Either way it's really nice to be able to get truly warm. The tent only costs about $35 for everything needed, and it's pretty easy to make.

Here's a video that shows the tent while I ramble on about it a bit:

Here's a video of it with a campfire going and my grandson bouncing around inside:

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Death in the National Parks
by balzaccom
05/25/24 01:30 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 309 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Marty Cox, laneh, leonard, dellagoss, StarryOwl
13245 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum