It was pitching a tarp in a Whelen style leanto that really got me to thinking about a Baker's Tent too.

I made this out of SOL Emergency blankets. I taped most the seams with 3M clear fiber reinforced duct tape, the edges with fiber reinforced clear strapping tape, and the front panel is made with 2mil clear plastic "visqueen". I learned about that in another post from a member here who made a Pup tent out of SOL blankets.

Here's a video where I describe the tent a bit , and here's one showing it with a campfire warming it.

The biggest downside is when you don't have a campfire going it builds up condensation bad if you've got that visqueen front pinned down. I haven't put any ventilation up near the ceiling yet, and that might help, but the nights I've spent down on the River banks it was ready to pour like rain inside by sunrise.

On the plus side, it will dry out really fast if you have the front facing the sunrise or you build a fire. You can even dry wet clothes in it on a damp day pretty quickly that way.

I can tell you that most of the people I've backpacked with probably think I'm a little off kilter because of that tent. It's about as Hobo looking as a tent can get. I'm well aware it's not pretty. I didn't spend any time at all trying to make it pretty. I just wanted to see how well it would work with a campfire.

As it turns out, I like it better than any tent I've ever had, and by a very long way too. I've been tempted to make one like it out of silnylon (I wouldn't use it with a campfire though), but it would be heavier. I'll probably make another like this, but before I do I'll cut some vents in this one to see how they might work out.

"You want to go where?"