Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183461 - 03/03/14 09:38 AM tent condensation
northeastern Offline

I was looking through the forum and someone mentioned tent condensation and said someone "guy out the fly". Can anyone explain what this means?

#183462 - 03/03/14 09:52 AM Re: tent condensation [Re: northeastern]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
It means to tie line to stakes in order to take the slack out or tighten the pitch.

#183463 - 03/03/14 09:58 AM Re: tent condensation [Re: northeastern]
northeastern Offline

Ah I see, thanks.

#183464 - 03/03/14 10:03 AM Re: tent condensation [Re: rockchucker22]
lori Offline

Guying out the fly ventilates the tent better. Ventilating the tent moves moisture out. People don't like to do it because they imagine the tent will be warmer if they block ventilation - that's just a tipoff they have the wrong sleeping gear, because warmth is what your sleeping gear is for. Then they get upset when they sit up in the morning and water rains down from the inside of the fly, and return the tent to REI because of "too much condensation."

Round and round it goes.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#183470 - 03/03/14 11:15 AM Re: tent condensation [Re: northeastern]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
If you have a single wall shelter, expect condensation in high humidity areas/conditions. I've set up a silnylon shelter I had above a lake outlet, 40' in elevation and had high condensation in it. No rain in site either. It was floorless, so I think that adds to the issue too.
Duane

#183471 - 03/03/14 12:04 PM Re: tent condensation [Re: hikerduane]
bluefish Offline

If I use my Big Agnes Fly Creek in temps below freezing and don't create some ventilation, it develops it's own weather system. grin The condensation is horrible!!! Big Agnes made a design mistake, running solid panels higher on the sides which restricted ventilation. They changed it on the higher end version of the tent. This happened once when I first got the tent. After that we've taken to using forked sticks or a pile of rocks to lift our guy lines on the fly both up and out from the tent body, allowing good cross flow. We also never completely shut the front zipper, and actually peel the vestibule flap back a little. Only required when its near or below freezing or very high humidity and below 50. Some tents are worse than others, it all has to do with ventilation. If your tent has a mesh body that comes down all the way to the floor tub and the fly is pulled out away from it when it's pitched, you won't have much of a problem. My heavy 4 season tent has lots of ventilation, but will still condensate our breath on the fly, as it has done several trips this year when it was sub-zero. Years ago I would clip cheese cloth across the top of the tent to collect the condensation, then would carefully unclip it and throw it outside in the morning. Now I just allow for better venting. I also like guying out the sides of the fly in the summer to allow any breeze to find its way in.

#183476 - 03/03/14 02:42 PM Re: tent condensation [Re: northeastern]
northeastern Offline

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I don't plan on setting up camp in cold weather (yet) so the trade off between warmth and ventilation isn't an issue. That and I have a bag that's rated for 20 degrees for the three seasons I plan to hike.

#183479 - 03/03/14 03:35 PM Re: tent condensation [Re: northeastern]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
There are lots of ways to avoid internal condensation in a tent. If I sound like Henry Shires of Tarptent, that's where I learned!

Make sure the tent is well ventilated. Especially avoid a tent which has the screen doors slanting inward towards the top, through which the rain can come. With those, you have no choice but to close the solid door up tight even in the merest drizzle, and it will be a sauna inside. You want to be able to leave the solid door open in the rain, unless it's really windy with horizontal rain (in which case you don't have to worry about ventilation).

Avoid, if possible, camping in damp areas such as next to streams or lakes (you should be 200 feet away anyway for LNT purposes), in the bottoms of valleys, out in a meadow. Stay off grass (which puts out moisture of its own) if you can. Of course you can't always avoid such situations, but try. Under trees (if they're healthy), you'll get a lot less condensation. On a knoll (if not exposed to lightning) is also drier because there will be more air movement.

Putting two people (or one person and a good-sized dog) in a tent designed for one person can also cause more condensation, since the tent was designed to ventilate for one.

I personally prefer a single-wall tent where I can wipe off any condensation that occurs. Your Mileage, of course, May Vary!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/03/14 03:39 PM)

#183491 - 03/03/14 09:26 PM Re: tent condensation [Re: northeastern]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
If you expect condensation then get a slightly over-sized tent. Particularly if it is a single wall. Moisture on the ceiling is fine, if it stays there! But if you are always brushing up against the ceiling or walls you will get wet.

I find that when I camp in humid conditions where it goes below the dew point at night and it is calm, no matter how I set up, even with the door wide open, I still get condensation. Some tent designs do not allow much "guying out". You have to carry extra pegs on some tents to set it up for ventilation.

Condensation is also a problem outside the tent when you are out in the open. I camp above timber a lot. A few times I have arose early and put my gear outside the tent, and bam! temperature drops below dew point and moisture literally oozes out of the air and all my stuff gets instantly wet before I have the chance to pack it! If you get under the cover of a tree, this usually will not happen.

#183496 - 03/04/14 06:56 AM Re: tent condensation [Re: northeastern]
northeastern Offline

Just for informational purposes, I have the Fly Creek UL1. Any thoughts condensation issues with this tent?

Edit: I would also like to say thank you for the info and suggestions.

Edited by northeastern (03/04/14 06:57 AM)

#183497 - 03/04/14 07:48 AM Re: tent condensation [Re: northeastern]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have one of the older Fly Creek Solos. I have had condensation form on the upper part of the rain fly but it has never gotten through the inner tent. When I pack the tent with condensation, I just turn the fly inside out, give it a good shake and stuff it in an outer pocket of my pack. The inner tent goes in my pack. If the weather is right, I will pull the fly out when I stop for lunch and spread it out to dry. I also have a Zpacks Hexamid that I have come to like a lot. The Hexamid is more prone to condensation and thus I need to be more careful with camp site selection and with getting a good pitch. The nice thing about the Cuben used for the Hexamid is that it doesn't sag when it gets wet the way the silnylon Fly Creek fly does. There is no need for midnight guy line tightening with the Hex.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Death in the National Parks
by balzaccom
05/25/24 01:30 AM
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum