Originally Posted By OregonMouse
BZH, putting 20 lbs. on a 50 lb. kid is like putting 60 lbs. on a 150-lb. adult! Have you ever tried carrying 60 lbs. in a frameless pack? You also have to remember that a child's bones and joints are immature, and this holds true through the teenage rapid growth years. That's why physicians get so upset about those heavy book packs with no real support that are foisted on school kids.

For kids, it's really important to have a pack that transfers most of the weight to the hip belt, even if you have to get a heavier pack. It's all those frills and doodads and bomproof fabric on the standard kids' packs that make them weigh so much! That's why I suggested butchery as an option!

And don't the Scouts share gear, like tents and cooking gear? Please do talk with your leaders! Your son is absolutely not going to be able to carry as much as a 16-year-old 6-footer!

As far as I know the are all gonna share gear. They have 10 kids in their patrol and one of the skills will be planing and preparing a whole days menu for the whole troop so I'm not sure what they plan on doing as far as shared cooking gear. There's another boy that's about the same size as my son, only thinner and a couple inches taller so any help will go towards getting this 2 lighter gear if possible. I'm sure they will still need to carry their own sleeping bag, tent and clothes as well as first aid and possible a few other things before the split up the rest of the gear. We're canceling the meeting tonight because of snow and I believe their first meeting as the new recruits will be the 26th of this month and I'm hoping to find out more by then.