Weights? We really can't do much analysis without them. Use actual weight (get an inexpensive postage scale) rather than the manufacturer's, which may be fudged. For items you don't yet have, of course you're stuck with the manufacturers' marketing departments until you get that item.

It helps to organize your gear by systems--for example, shelter, sleeping, cooking, clothing carried (not being worn), navigation, etc. (plus, of course, the inevitable "other"). That way you're less liable to leave out something important. There are a couple of sample gear lists, plus lots of other interesting articles, listed on the home page of this site, left-hand column. They should give you some ideas.

It also helps to know where you'll be backpacking and under what conditions. The climate of the northern Rockies differs considerably from that of the southern Appalachians. The gear lists on the home page are for the Washington Cascades.

A few observations:

No footprint/ground cloth unless the tent has no floor. I haven't used one for many years and my tent floor (light weight silnylon) is just fine.

Tent and tarp both? Why?

2 cans fuel--what kind? Plus Sterno? For how long a trip? doing how much cooking? And I didn't see a stove!

Are you going solo? If so, eat out of your pot or the freezer bag your dinner is in and leave the bowl at home.

Two kinds of cord?

Why two lights? If you feel the need of a backup for your headlamp, get one of those tiny LED lights like the one on this page, left hand column.

No sleeping bag or quilt?

Extra clothing? All you list are socks. What about insulating layers, hat, rain gear?

Map? Compass? We don't want to have to send Lori (our SAR member) out to look for you!

A few matches in case the lighter conks out (it has happened to me)?

Water treatment?

Water containers?

Camera? If you've studied a bunch of lightweight gear lists, as I have, you'll know this always gets omitted from lists, even when photos of the trip are included. To me, this is cheating. I did leave my camera home for one trip 30 years ago, to save weight--and I've regretted it ever since!

I concur with Aimless on the silk liner. After three mornings of taking several minutes to untangle myself from the liner so I could get out of my sleeping bag, I tossed mine in the nearest trash can. Wear a lightweight base layer instead; it's also extra insulation in cold weather.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/11/14 09:48 PM)