Eno is heavier than most brands, but I've never seen a 17oz Eno. (17oz is lightweight) I've backpacked with a hammock as opposed to a tent several times and really enjoyed it. I still use a tent for trips that may be on bald mountains or in high wind area.

I currently have two tents and one hammock set up, one of my tent is lighter than hammock set up, but another tent is heavier than hammock setup. The thing about hammocks is that everything adds up. You'll need a tarp, bug net, then some form of insulation whether it's underquilt and top quilt combo, or sleep pad and top quilt, or sleep pad and sleeping bag.. etc. It's fun to add and subtract accessories and customize your options, but it does get pricey having that kind of choice. (but isn't that the point of a hobby? grin)

Eno's quilts, tarps, etc., are heavier than cottage manufacturers. With a proper setup and site locations you can shield yourself from the element and I'm betting in Florida it's nicer in a hammock than a tent. cool

Anyhoo, here a list of cottage manufacturers to look at:

Warbonnet
Dream Hammock
Wilderness Logics

If I was getting a new hammock today, I'd probably be buying Thunderbird from Dream Hammock. I have a Tadpole tarp from Wilderness Logics. I'm currently using a Grand Trunk Hammock, but I don't like it and it made from similar or same material as Eno.

Edit: Some times back, I looked at that complete kit you can buy from Eno that comes with tree straps, hammock, tarp, bug net, and all that. That kit was nearly 4 pounds!! My complete setup is around 2.5 pounds and I can go lighter with different hammock. That why I said Eno is heavier than cottage manufacturers and others.

Edited by ETSU Pride (10/30/13 01:09 PM)