Originally Posted By lostagain
Welcome in!

I'll weigh in on the stove selection. You'll be tempted, but I personally would recommend against an alcohol stove for now.

I disagree in terms of function. But if you go somewhere there are often fire bans, canister stoves are usually allowed - unless it specifically says "no stoves" in which case there's no help at all.

My first stove was an alcohol stove, getting back into this... I still have and use it. As well as about a dozen others. Somehow I only knocked one over once, and it wasn't the end of it all - and it's easier to know and take only the fuel you need.

ALL STOVES ARE FINICKY IN DIFFERENT WAYS.

Top mounted canister stove is easily tipped, and hard to mount a windscreen without enclosing the canister - a no-no. The Pocket Rocket I started with would go out if there was the slightest breeze - that thing was a nightmare. Waste of time. The Snow Peak Giga has proven to be much more reliable.... Primus stoves are also pretty bomb proof.

Remote canister stoves are for the gourmet cooks, and can be more easily used in winter or colder temps - but heavier and bulkier.

http://hikeandbackpack.com