Originally Posted By JPete
Doppelgänger,

If the modification of the belt is to eliminate the wide, padded part of the belt ... I would say no. For me, that is where the weight rides, and the weight savings (very little) could not possibly outweigh the comfort advantage (for me it's a really comfortable ride, I wouldn't tamper with it)...

My feelings exactly. Thanks.

The Neoair I'm using is now several years old, a three-quarter length from the original line, 50 inches by 20. I keep a little air, roll it foot to head, slip it into the pack and let it unroll ... keeping the valve at the top so that I can adjust the air slightly if needed.

Okay, yeah, that's what I was doing with my 3/4 (not 1/2) Thermarest. I'm surprised a Neoair will suffice. Learn something new every day.

I have considered splitting the weight as you describe, but it's now light enough, and sufficiently stable that I see no reason to do so. I certainly will if I ever take my working camera gear on the trail again.

My AT system was a Z55 with a 4L hip pack brought forward, maxed out with 14lbs of food, 2lbs of water and 20lbs of gear weight. I got rid of 12 lbs of gear weight, shrinking my pack's volume and weight on the back and increasing it on the front to forward all my immediate-need gear, so I wouldn't have to de-bag to get anything until my major meal at dinner time. Speed's the need. Filter, maps, camera, toiletries, med-kit, tool-kit, layers, snacks, even ready made cold meals accessible without de-bagging, so I don't have to make major time consuming stops. I estimate I was idle over 4 hours of daylight each day. This is part of what will help me recover 2 hours and about 4-5 miles a day.

Who you gonna call ... Ghostbusters? (I ain't afraid of no sketch comedians!)