Doppelgänger,

Don't think I can help you with the connector question. Each wing of my waist belt is sewed into the sideseam of the pack. I see no other connector. If the modification of the belt is to eliminate the wide, padded part of the belt (which I suppose might be described as "trapezoidal") I would say no. For me, that is where the weight rides, and the weight savings (very little) could not possibly outweigh the comfort advantage (for me it's a really comfortable ride, I wouldn't tamper with it).I would estimate that when I have the straps right, I have at least 60 percent of the weight on those pads, maybe more.

The Neoair I'm using is now several years old, a three-quarter length from the original line, 50 inches by 20. I keep a little air, roll it foot to head, slip it into the pack and let it unroll (20 inches deep, almost exactly the depth of the pack) keeping the valve at the top so that I can adjust the air slightly if needed. The pack is not waterproof, so I line it with a trash bag, then add my gear and snug it down tight.

I have considered splitting the weight as you describe, but it's now light enough, and sufficiently stable that I see no reason to do so. I certainly will if I ever take my working camera gear on the trail again.

The pack hugs me like a monkey, even when I get in a hurry with the packing. Also, it somehow stays cool and ventilated in spite of that. Don't know how that works.

I would strongly advise you to talk with Ron directly (like telephone) both on the fitting and on the rigging for splitting your gear. I find him creative and helpful. Just remember that he builds very nice gear in his own shop, and has become popular. It doesn't come overnight.

Hope this helps. best, jcp