I agree. Without getting top-of-the price-range light gear, you should be able to do 4 days with less than 30 pounds. (I was able to do that back in the early 80's, with stainless steel pots and Timberline tents, and, I think, carrying 2 liters of water.)

The big thing is to ruthlessly differentiate between "need" and "want." Don't buy a two-person tent if you'll be camping solo - the extra space is nice, but not necessary. Don't insist on a menu that requires two pots for preparation, plus a bowl; drink water (from your water bottle) instead of coffee or tea, and you don't need a cup. Better yet, eat breakfast and lunch cold, use freeze-dried food that you can "cook" in the bag by adding boiling water, and use a mug-shaped pot that can double as a cup (think MSR Titan Kettle or Jetboil Sol.) Use a short pad, and stick your empty pack under your lower legs, instead of using a full-length pad. Get waterproof breathable rain suit that can double as a windbreaker or long pants - that sort of thing.