Originally Posted By Glenn
How cold was it on your hike? Does the MicroRocket perform any better/differently than the Pocket Rocket in temperatures below 30F? (No need to answer this if you're going to cover it in the report.)
Glenn, I didn't bring a thermometer, but I the snow was dry and had that particular crunch that snow makes when it is below freezing. My trekking poles made that odd sound that they make when hitting frozen ground. It's not the sound of hitting a rock, but it's not the sound of hitting unfrozen ground either.

In other words, it was pretty cold, but I'm not sure how cold. It did warm up by the time I summited, but it was still pretty cold. There was no evidence of melting snow on the summit (slushy snow, liquid water, etc.).

Generally with gas stoves, the brand of gas you buy has more to do with cold weather performance than the brand of stove. Basically, for cold weather, you want to avoid "plain" butane and only buy brands that have isobutane.

I didn't do the kind of testing that might reveal cold weather performance differences between the two stoves, but I have a fairly broad range of experience with stoves. I'd say that you're not going to get any cold weather performance differences between the two.

You might get some cold weather performance difference with a regulator valved stove with a larger than average jet aperture in the lower end of the operating temperature range for a particular gas blend, but to my knowledge the MicroRocket is a needle valved stove not a regulator valved stove.

HJ