Originally Posted By vthokies364
I understand backpacking with a two-person tent would not be considered "lite," but I have a a few quick questions.

-Has anyone backpacked with this tent?
-How was the experience?
-Does it seem rather heavy?
-Did you split the load with someone else?
-Is it far too much for one person to carry?
-Is backpacking with a 2 person tent completely out of the question?

Thanks.

Hello vthokeys. Welcome to the forum.

I actually have this tent and I personally love it. It is a bit on the heavy side for two man tents, but I don't mind the bit of extra weight for the nice bells and whistles. I bring the 2P tent even when solo. Cept, now I have a hammock I am sure I will be using a lot.

A bit of the specs I really like about the tent:
Vents on the rain fly. Really helps reduce condensation. I have never woken up with condensation in my tent and I have been in moderate rain conditions. No monsoon yet. So I haven't really tested its limits. But regardless I was pleased with the results during a moderate rain storm.

I really like the window in it. I set it up towards the south so in the morning I get to watch the sunrise from the comfort of my therm-a-rest. smile

The two door option is very useful when sharing space.

There is reflectix paint on there so at night when trying to find your tent it highlights when a headlamp is shone on it. Comes very useful sometimes when the Jim Beam goes camping xP

You can use the tent with just the ground sheet, pole, and rain fly and save a bunch of weight.

It has a good amount of pockets. They have ample space for whatever you need to put in there. They also give you a "attic" if you will (I forget the real term sorry), but its just a mesh thing that goes across the top part so you can store stuff up there. I normally keep it off this way I have more head room. I am about 5'6" and I can sit up comfortably in the tent without the mesh in there. With the mesh thing on it just felt more claustrophobic.

Downfall: The vestibule zippers are a pain in the butt to grab when getting out of the tent. Instead of reaching all the way to the grommet to zip it up, I keep the zippers by the top of the door which means I have to sort of "emerge" out of a partially unzipped vesibule. Not a huge deal to me, but to some it may be more of a nuisance. But the vestibules have plenty of space for gear.