Quite a challenge.

I use a 40 liter pack for 3 season backpacking, but I use a quilt instead of sleeping bags, and it is high quality down and outside your quoted price range.

Keep in mind - you get what you pay for with sleeping bags. The high quality down bags will cost you a lot up front but will last decades with proper care. Lower quality stuff won't compress as well, will weigh more (anything from ounces to pounds more depending) and you run a higher risk of finding the rating on the bag/quilt isn't accurate.

Also, if you get something like a Western Mountaineering, Montbell or Marmot bag, and find you don't like it - you'll be able to sell it used in a heartbeat.

Personally, I think the $240 I spent on my JRB 3 season quilt was the best decision I made back when I knew very little about the current offerings on gear - I will probably be using it for years to come. I can put both (I liked the quilt so much I got a second one to use under my hammock) side by side in the bottom of my 40 liter pack and have tons of room for bear canister, kitchen stuff, clothing, etc.

http://hikeandbackpack.com