I tend to use the phrase "camel up," but I'd probably better change that - I never thought about people interpreting it like you mention. (I suspect you knew what most of us meant - but a newcomer to the sport might not.) Usually, since the places I hike are similar to the Gorge in frequency of sources, "camel up" to me means finish the quart I'm carrying and refill it (or maybe, if I've arrived with only a mouthful or two left on a hot day, refill and drink until I'm not thirsty - about a pint, max, then refill and move on.)

I have had the onset of hyponatremia, in the Gorge one nice hot summer weekend. I was sweating a lot, drinking plentifully, and then skipped supper (my hiking partner had not slept the previous night to get to the Gorge in time; he skipped his supper and, since I was tired, too, I decided to skip mine.) The next day, still drinking often, I started feeling generally crappy around mid-day - no energy, stopped sweating, etc. (Someone told me later that it could have been onset stages of heat exhaustion, but was more likely hyponatremia.) We stopped, fixed a good lunch (actually, the previous night's supper), then had a heavy snack a bit later, and felt fine by evening. I've never skipped supper since.