This seems to be one of those exceptionally rare instances where someone successfuly used bear spray against a bear. Its good to know that it might work against a large male griz. I have camped in the wilds of alaska, along the 40 mile river in Dawson country, and along the Kenai Penn. The bears out there are as big as pickup trucks... When something that big is sniffing around your tent at night you lay real still... smile
And the idea of unzipping the door and turning on a flashlight just doesn't seem reasonable, then what? I know its a gun safety violation but in Alaska I slept with my rifle next to me with a full magazine and one chambered. The chambered one was questionable but necesary for quiet operation. I'm glad I never had to shoot a bear. The Alaskans prefer a .44 6 shooter because it saves bears as you can wait for the bear to be at point blank range before you have to shoot so if it stops its charge say ten feet away, it lives, and so do you. Other Alaskans say a even a large caliber powerful rifle is not much insurance. I think your body language and fear are really major constituents of how any bear responds to you. And a secret - the bears I have encountered hate the landslide sound - a rock banging down. So pick up a rock, a big one, and instead of throwing it at the bear, throw it down hard at your feet, and I'll bet you the bear backs off, especially if you hit your toe and scream and dance for him.
Jim YMMV