OK, a dissenting voice here.

I worked really hard at convincing myself that the NeoAir was just fine because of my attraction to the weight savings. After using it on several trips, I realized that the NeoAir, mostly thanks to its many horizontal tubes, was not nearly as comfortable as my POE Ether Thermo (of which I have an older version). I had a really hard time finding the "sweet spot" between too hard and so soft that my hip bone touched the ground. The thing also kept "bucking me off"--every time I turned over (which I do a lot of), I'd find myself on the ground. My POE pad is much easier to adjust to the correct (for me) amount of air (probably due to the larger tubes) and the outside tubes keep me from rolling off. Finally, I got cold on the NeoAir at 40 degrees F. Below that I had to use a supplemental pad, which put paid to any real weight savings over my POE insulated pad. Regulars on this forum (such as Glenn) have read my account of attempting to use it with a light CCF pad on a 18*F early October night! I am definitely a cold sleeper, but even for a warm sleeper I wouldn't recommend the NeoAir where there's any chance of its getting below freezing (a frequent happening even in midsummer in some of the areas in which I backpack).

Of course each of us has his/her own individual sleep style, about as individual as shoe size or pack size. But judging from the large number of slightly used NeoAirs I see on sale on various forums, it appears I'm not the only one who has decided it's not for me!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/10/10 04:32 PM)