Hi guys..nice looking site, thanks for letting me in thanks

I'm Kevin, 30 yrs old. I'm living just outside Newcastle, England. A 'geordie' as we're known from this area smile

Ok, I'm very much interested in backpacking/wild camping. I have never been before. There seems to be so much info..I have become a little overwhelmed with it all. I'm just not sure where to start with this...?

For my 'first time'..I plan on going on a two night weekend trek with my buddy, through Cumbria or Northumberland. The weather will be cold as it will probably happen in late January.

This gives me plenty of time to plan things out properly..and to start collecting/buying the equipment/clothing I will be needing.

I'm quite fit and I'm a country man at heart..so I don't really mind buying a lot of stuff first time out. The equipment/clothing will be used over and over..I just want to make sure I start of by purchasing the correct stuff for my needs. I'm 5.8' and 10.5st..if this is useful.

I was hoping some of the more experienced guys here would be kind enough to set me off in the right direction...? Even though we're probs thousands of miles apart..the info could prevent me from costly mistakes, etc.

I've looked at a lot of Nutnfancy's vids on youtube..and I've seen his 8 part vid on equipment/clothing. I like his views about not travelling to light..and I do like the sound of having some comforts in remote spaces.

My buddy also wants to go fishing on our first trip..and probs the rest of the trips also. I know the weight here could be a big issue. He likes carp fishing and said he would just travel light.

But I don't think he would come unless there was some sort of fishing involved..so I have to make a compromise with him. For now though..I would just like to forget about the fishing part..and work out waht I myself will need for this first time wild backpacking adventure....

If any of you guys can help me out..please comment..as it will be very useful and greatly appreciated from me. Thanks

Kevin

PS..at the moment I have nothing..no correct clothing/rucksack or equipment. My budget is probably in the region of four to seven hundred pounds to start me off.

Just ordered some Timberland hiking boots and I have my eye on a Paclite Gore-Tex berghaus..so looks like I have these two areas covered. It's all the other essentials I'm unsure about..backpack, tent, groundsheet, sleeping bag, stove, tools, trousers, etc..

I'm thinking..If I can keep all the essentials to a minimum (weight-wise)..then I have more leeway for 'comforts'. Maybe this is correct thinking..maybe it's incorrect thinking...I don't know...lol!

I look forward to hearing some wise words from you guys. Will have a good read around the site..but tis great to recieve some 'one to one' advice also. Cheers smile